PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby Sovereign ultima

Darren Jamieson
10-18-2011, 5:50 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon1.png Robert Sorby Sovereign Ultima
Has anyone out there in lathe land seen or better yet tried this new tool from Robert Sorby. It looks like an interesting tool but I can't seem to find it anywhere other then in the UK. They also don't say what exactly comes with he kit. I know the handle can be used with other tool shafts but I don't see them anywhere either. In Canada both Busy Bee and Lee Valley say they carry Sorby tools but if I am not mistaken they have both just recently stopped. Is there any site that I could purchase it from in the USA that I could just get it shipped. I think that would be cheaper then buying from the UK.

Ron Bontz
10-18-2011, 6:06 PM
Have you tried Hartville Tools? Seems like they were carrying them.

Ian James Webster
10-18-2011, 6:09 PM
I just googled it and one of the top response was from Rockler - pictures and all. 8-)

Darren Jamieson
10-18-2011, 8:01 PM
Thanks Ron and Ian, Rockler has it and there is a store in Buffalo so that shouldn't be to bad for shipping to Toronto. I would still love to here any imput about the tool if anyone has any. How do the Sorby tools rate compaired to others. I would want to use the handle for other tools as well. It does say that it will hold other brand tools so I wouldn't be stuck to just Sorby.

Harry Robinette
10-18-2011, 8:06 PM
Woodcraft carry's the whole line of the Altima System.

Ron Bontz
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I have the Sorby Sovereign handle, 22", and hollow master. I like both. The handle seems pretty comfortable in my hand with the foam grip. I noticed my Thompson gouges fit a little loose in the handle. Slight difference in shank dia. I would love to have a laser/ hollowing setup. But money is always an issue. So for now it will have to be the hollow master, and Thompson gouges.