PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Xtension

Bill Lewis
03-01-2005, 8:28 AM
Has anyone bought and used the Xtreme Xtension (http://www.routertechnologies.com/)? If so do you find it's worth the money? Notice any vibration problems? How well does it hold bits, especially using the 1/4" insert? How often do you check or re-tighten the collet?

I installed the Router Raizer on my Elu router (same as a DeWalt 625) and mounted to a woodpecker plate. I don't see using this router in any other place other than in the table as I have two 690's and another one coming with the new saw. Above the table bit changes are a plus, if not a necessity.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2005, 8:41 AM
That extension looks to be much better built than others that I have seen. My grandpa gave me an extension he had, it was terrible! A 1/2" straight bit would cut like a 5/8" dado! :)

Jim Becker
03-01-2005, 9:17 AM
Any time you extend the collet you are amplifying any existing runout in addition to what might be present with the extender, itself. Personally, I would not use them. Easy bit changes are possible using bent wrenches...which Woodpeckers sells, too.

Dave Richards
03-01-2005, 9:27 AM
I have one of those extenders as well as a different one from another manufacturer. There is indeed a bit of vibration with it. The instructions tell you to run the router after installing it. If there is noticeable vibration, stop and turn it a few degrees in the collet and try again.

In addition to amplifying existing runout of the router bearings, this thing could cause more rapid wear on the bearings. Since the contact between the bit and the wood is placed farther from the bearings, you have additional leverage available. I think the appropriate method of work with an extender would be to take even shallower cuts than you would normally do.

Another possible solution to lack of reach with your router bits would be to look for bits with longer shanks. One source that I know of is Magnate, magnate.net, They make long shank router bits for the Legacy Ornamental Mills. They might have a profile you need in a long shank. They might also be willing to cut one to length if it is too long. Actually, you could cut it if need be.