PDA

View Full Version : DIY Home Security Systems - anyone done this ?

Howie French
10-18-2011, 2:05 PM
I am looking at installing a DIY Home Security System.

Searching the internet, there are many companies/products to choose from.

I would be interested to hear what models others have installed and what their
satisfaction level is.

Howie

Sam Layton
10-18-2011, 9:00 PM
Hi Howie,

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Sam

Howie French
10-18-2011, 9:16 PM
Sam, I have not received your PM

thanks, Howie

Ted Calver
10-18-2011, 9:33 PM
Howie..It's possible folks are reluctant to discuss details of their security systems on a public forum.

Howie French
10-18-2011, 9:48 PM
Good point Ted.

Sam Layton
10-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I sent you another PM.

Jay Runde
10-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Two of the more popular ones on one of the Automation/Security forums, Cocoontech, I am on are Elk M1G and the HAI OmniPro II.

george wilson
10-19-2011, 9:37 AM
I am not much of an electrician,but at my last house,I bought an extension of our house security system and installed it in our garage,complete with a siren. Worked great.

Jim Underwood
10-22-2011, 11:20 PM
I thought sure you were going to say something about a Big Mean Dog...

Phil Thien
10-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Someone send me a PM too. I would like to hear about a system that can send me a text or email when someone enters server rooms at my client locations. It doesn't need to trigger a horn or anything, just tell me when someone is in there.

glenn bradley
10-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I will vaguely say that where I live, a monitored system reduces your insurance nearly enough to pay for that service. A non-monitored system didn't count for much. I will say that cellular and power backup is a comfort as most systems rely on phone line to call for help in the event of a trigger. Like many things there is a line to cross where the expense garners a true benefit vs. just a cool feature.

Jim Becker
10-30-2011, 8:44 PM
I installed my system in my previous residence myself and then contracted with a local firm for monitoring. There was a local distributor who would sell to the public at that point...pre-Internet stores, as it were. Folks like SmartHome now offer similar capabilities with name-brand equipment and a very reasonable monitoring service fee.

I did opt to use a local company for my current security system as the price was actually quite reasonable and they cheerfully service the "little things" that sometimes happen with electronics and wireless devices. (the nature of our home requires use of wireless)

Carol Reed
10-30-2011, 9:40 PM
I can understand not wanting to discuss specifics, but a few links to research would be more than helpful. So are the thing I learned was that monitored systems are best and cellular notification is even better. Are there any publications or how to sites that would be worth the time to study?

Sam Layton
10-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Carol,

Go to www.homesecuritystore.com (http://www.homesecuritystore.com), then go to support. You will fine a good security forum with a lot of info.

Sam

Carol Reed
10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks, Sam.