PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Woodturners Expo

Jeff Belany
10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
The 2011 Expo is coming up soon and I'm curious if anyone has attended past shows and how they were. Up here in the northwoods I don't get many wood shows to go to, let alone a turners show. I'm seriously thinking of going but time & $$ are an issue. Any thoughts from previous attendees? My turning skills are limited to pens and other small turnings but I would like to get into making some small bowls and other objects.

Really interested in how many vendors show up for a show like this. The seminars look interesting. Just looking for some comments from people who have attended.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Tim Rinehart
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Wow, at $40, that's a bargain for a show with a nice variety of demos if I read the registration correct. It's hard to beat seeing demos and be able to ask questions of experienced turners. Can't speak for this particular event, but looks like a good lineup of demos, including ones from national level (Dick Sing and Jamie Donaldson).

Dick Wilson
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Jeff, Just back from my first turning symposium (Ohio) I strongly say "GOOOOOO". If I had it to do all over again I would have gone way before I did. You meet a lot of great turners, very informative demos, etc. If Jamie D is demonstrating his square bowl you will find it very enjoyable. If you are interested in improving your photography he is the go to guy. My experience at OVS was very inspirational.

Richard Golde
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
The Wisconsin Woodturners Expo gets bigger every year. We had to move to a larger venue as we outgrew out prior site after the second year. Go to cvwg.org for the demonstration schedule and you will say all this for $40.00. We have fiber art added this year for a wider interest. Oh I may have a vested interest as I am the vp of the club. A minor detail at best. What a great way to spend a weekend.

Richard Golde

Jamie Donaldson
10-18-2011, 1:44 PM
I was honored to be invited to demonstrate, and have met a great bunch of turners in several demo trips way up north over the years. I hope to be able to contribute to the building of another successful regional symposium, as not every turner has the opportunity to make regular trips to such excellent resources as learning and sharing opportunities. I wish I could stay and fish for a few days, but your water seems to get stiff, and white stuff begins to appears all over the ground around that time of year?

terry mccammon
10-18-2011, 2:17 PM
Go for it, even for a day it is a great bargin. Besides that is a really pretty part of Wisconsin. I would go but made a commitment to attend a memorial service for a friend's wife.

Jeff Fagen
10-18-2011, 3:56 PM
I too am a member of the local club and I decided too late that I wanted a table to sell at,well they are sold out with a waiting list.We've already outgrown this new space.Thats OK because I will be enjoying the demo's.There is a diverse group of displays for a regional show,so If you are within driving distance it would be a nice place to spend the weekend.I have lived here for 18 years and never tire of the scenery.:)