PDA

View Full Version : Black and White Limba Mills

Kathy Marshall
10-18-2011, 1:50 AM
I was at Woodworker Source last week looking for spindle blanks for a few more salt & pepper mills and saw some 2x2x18 Black Limba. Had not seen it before, but it looked pretty cool and the size and price was right so I bought one. The also had White Limba, but I wanted to see how the Black Limba turned first.
So Sunday afternoon I turned the Black Limba pepper mill. It's a pretty soft wood, but it turns very nice (just don't bump it with anything!) It sands up very easily too. I sanded from 220 to 800, wet sanded with BLO at 800, then wiped it dry and finished it up with about 4 coats of General Woodturners Finish. Boy that finish is quick and easy! I used light coats, wiped on with a shop towel then rubbed it down with another shop towel between coats (each coat only took about 4-5 minutes to dry). It didn't raise the grain at all, probably due to wet sanding first, so I didn't have to sand after finishing. I'll be applying some Ren wax and then call it done.
Since the Black Limba went well, I stopped by today and picked up a blank of the White Limba. The only difference between the two is the color, the white turns equally well. So tonight I turned the salt mill. Finish is identical to the pepper mill.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Michelle Rich
10-18-2011, 5:56 AM
I posted 2 "hollowforms from a board" not too long ago. Made from Black & white limba. Funny how they name this stuff. The black limba is the heartwood, and the white limba is the sapwood. I have 2 pieces of lumber that are 1/2 & 1/2. So it's really the same stuff and turning should be the same!! These 2 look nice together, so great idea to use the 2 colors for the set