PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout Mess Kit ?

James A. Wolfe
10-18-2011, 1:44 AM
Has anyone ever tried engraving one of these? I think it is made from the cheapest grade of aluminum and seems to have a whitish layer. I don't think Cermark will do well as I've had poor results on aluminum in the past. I'm wondering if the oxidized or anodized layer will provide enough contrast. Any suggestions?
Thanx,
Jim

Frank Corker
10-18-2011, 5:32 AM
I haven't engraved on a mess tin, but with aluminium when you engrave it the mark is visible but not stunning. Cermark will definitely give it the best result. If you don't have cermark and desperate, I understand that some people have had success with plaster of paris mixture but you should search back on previous posts to find that. Try 'alternatives to cermark' using the search engine on this page.

Dee Gallo
10-18-2011, 9:11 AM
James,

I recommend making a circular (or whatever shape you want) mask so you can spray some automotive paint in the center. Then raster away the image you want. It works extremely well on aluminum. If you want a dark mark, spray black primer first, then cover with your color. When you raster the paint will come off but the primer will remain.

cheers, dee