PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wood residue after lasering.

Anthony Scira
10-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I have kind of become a bird geek and replaced a lot of household cleaners with natural ones that will not harm out birds. One of them is vinegar and water, a 20% solution to water.

Just for fun I sprayed a little on some fresh lasered ply and the smoke residue came right up.

Thought I would throw that out there and hopefully help someone out with a really cheap way of cleaning.......

David Fairfield
10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Cool, thanks for that! I'm all for traditional DIY cleansers. Vinegar works pretty good for cleaning glass, too.

Dee Gallo
10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Good one, Anthony! I'll be using this from now on!

Thanks, dee

Robert L Stewart
10-18-2011, 1:23 AM
I used that as an all purpose cleaner years ago. Never thought about using it now that I have a laser and do a decent amout of wood products. Thanks for the reminder Anthony.

Robert

Frank Corker
10-18-2011, 5:34 AM
That's a clean way to do it Tony, I would also imagine lemon juice could help remove some of the stubborn stains.

Anthony Scira
10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
May add some lemon juice.

Another benefit of apple cider vinegar and the smoke is it smells like BBQ !

Mike Null
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Anthony

Thanks, that sounds easier than my Pinesol and water.

Keith Ward
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Anthony - this is a great tip. Just one (newbie) question - under what circumstances would you choose to clean with a solution vs. using laser tape? Thanks in advance..

Anthony Scira
10-19-2011, 2:47 PM
Wiping down the piece seems easier than laser tape. I usually only use that if using a color fill. I used to use isopropyl alcohol which is expensive compared to vinegar and after playing with it I think it does a better job.

andrew zen
10-20-2011, 6:02 PM
How about this concoction for windows and othes

1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon liquid soap or detergent, and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle.Add a tablespoon of baking soda for a little srubbing power and acid stabilizer.