PDA

View Full Version : New to me handplanes

Matt Day
10-17-2011, 9:12 PM
I'm not a neantherthal (yet) but love using my handtools when I can. I picked up a RAS at a local guy's house who was cleaning out his father's shop, and while I was there I noticed a couple planes. The most unique being this Stanley 85 Type 3 (it says "Pat. Apld for" and 4/11/05. Unfortunately there is no blade with it, but the previous owner will keep his eye out for it during the cleanout. I got the 85 along with a 7C for $25 :) The 7C needs some work - the handle is cracked and I need to find a new screw, but it was too much iron to pass up!

I'm not sure what I should do with the scraper plane; buy a new blade and clean it up and use it, or pass it on and try to make a few dollars.

James Taglienti
10-17-2011, 9:49 PM
You could sell it and buy a lie nielsen 85 plus some other tools too...

Michael Dedon
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't know if the LN handle, screw rod and cutter are direct replacements but if they're not, spare parts have to come from another #85 or a #10 1/4.

Unless you have a burning desire to own a Stanley #85, sell it. The Lie Nielsen #85 or #112 is a great alternative as is a Stanley #112. You should be able to get enough out of this one to get one of the others ready to go to work. I could be interested if you go this route.