PDA

View Full Version : News from Kentucky GLOAT!!!

David DeCristoforo
10-17-2011, 7:42 PM
A nice little flat rate box showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. Inside was a sheet of 100% genuine Kentucky news paper!!! This amazing and totally unexpected gift was from none other than Mr John Keeton himself! And, if that was not enough, John also included a couple of chunks of claro walnut burl. And if that was not enough, there was also a beautiful slab of curly maple. And then, there, way down in the bottom of the box where it was almost hidden from view was an absolutely gorgeous piece of box elder burl, culled from John's latest acquisition from North Woods. This is no "scrap" or "fall down" piece either, folks. Its a full 8"X8"x3", totally DRY, intensely figured, and ready to be impaled and attacked. I know just what I'm going to do with it.....

Harry Robinette
10-17-2011, 7:48 PM
DD
Now that's a gloat.

Baxter Smith
10-17-2011, 8:06 PM
[QUOTE=David DeCristoforo;1791728].......... This is no "scrap" or "fall down" piece either, folks. Its a full 8"X8"x3", totally DRY, intensely figured, and ready to be impaled and attacked. I know just what I'm going to do with it.....
I can't wait to see it. Its about time you turned a great looking bowl!

David DeCristoforo
10-17-2011, 8:10 PM
"I can't wait to see it. Its about time you turned a great looking bowl!"

Bowl??? Who said anything about a bowl? Bowls are on my ----list ever since I hosed that magnificent piece of walnut Tony sent...

charlie knighton
10-17-2011, 8:19 PM
enjoy.....saturday night demo????

David E Keller
10-17-2011, 8:23 PM
Looks like a box full of goodies! Good on John for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
10-17-2011, 8:41 PM
"Looks like a box full of goodies!"

Yup! Going to read the newspaper tonight...

ray hampton
10-17-2011, 9:02 PM
It been a long time since I read a newpaper [get all of my news from internet] congrats on the wood

Steve Schlumpf
10-17-2011, 9:12 PM
Wow! Quite the gloat! Beautiful woods... can't wait to see what you create with them!

Scott Hackler
10-17-2011, 9:13 PM
First off, congrats on a great looking bunch of goodies. Secondly (because of the first) you stink! ")

Curt Fuller
10-17-2011, 9:15 PM
"Well now... what can I say about John Keeton? Having never met the man, I know him only from our exchanges here on SMC and a handful emails back and forth. I do know that he is a lawyer, and a "southern lawyer" at that, and most would count that as a strike against him. In fact, being a "southern lawyer" might count with some as two strikes. I also know that he has a white beard and pony tail and bears a striking resemblance to Kenny Rogers which, depending on one's preferences, could be either a plus or a minus."

I'm thinking that maybe that white beard might be something more like Santa Clause. I think he just disguises himself as a "southern lawyer" to keep all the kids from wanting to sit on his lap and pull his beard.

David DeCristoforo
10-17-2011, 9:15 PM
"...you stink..."

Naa... just took a shower.

Jake Helmboldt
10-17-2011, 9:52 PM
OK, DD turns out some rather impressive stuff, but I think Mr. Keeton has sunk him on this one. I'm waiting with baited breath to see what he can make from that Ky newspaper.

Kathy Marshall
10-18-2011, 1:31 AM
Nice Gloat! That's a heck of a box of goodies from Santa Keeton! Can't wait to see how you attack it! But you better get that crumpled newspaper straightened and smoothed out before John sees it!

John Keeton
10-18-2011, 7:53 AM
David, I can't think of a better place to send that piece of burl. I have no doubt you will create a couple of masterpieces with it. Not sure what you can do with the other wood, but I had to fill the box with something, and my newspapers are too valuable to let go of that many!!! Have fun with it!

Tim Rinehart
10-18-2011, 9:39 AM
Very nice gesture...quite nice in fact. David, I think there's a challenge lurking in there to do something very special combining at least two of those woods...or maybe not. Beautiful wood and I'm sure a welcome surprise!

steven carter
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM
What a great surprise from a great guy! The best part is when you turn wood from John, you don't have to worry about cleaning up the mess, the shavings just disappear :)

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice gesture John and great gloat DD.

Tony De Masi
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Indeed a nice gesture from JK to someone I am certain will create a wonderful piece. And DD, I also think it's a good idea for you to stay away from bowls.:D

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
"... I think Mr. Keeton has sunk him on this one..."

You might be right. But I'm workin' on it...

"... you better get that crumpled newspaper straightened and smoothed out before John sees it..."

Hey look... he was the one who crumpled it up in the first place...

"... it's a good idea for you to stay away from bowls..."

Yes. For the time being. One day I will make a bowl. But not today...

"...when you turn wood from John...the shavings just disappear..."

That's good because I'm mostly a slacker when it comes to sweeping up shavings. Nice to think that I will not have to worry about it!