PDA

View Full Version : General Finishing Question

Craig Salyers
02-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone. I am working on a jewelry box made of maple and walnut and I am not sure how to finish it. I really want to highlight the contrast between the light maple and the dark walnut.

In my very limited experience, I do not like the yellowing effect that polyurethane can have. Tung oil sounds like a good option, but it also sounds like it would take a long time to apply all the necessary coats.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or suggestions.

Corvin Alstot
03-01-2005, 12:18 AM
How about a couple coats of Superblond shellac. This will keep the light color of the maple and is a very forgiving finish to apply.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Craig! I'm sure some of the more experienced woodworkers here will have a suitable suggestion for you!

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Craig,

Give this a try, I belive you'll like it and it keeps the color.

Mix the following:

2 ounces of tung oil
2 ounces of clear gloss polyurethane
1 ounce of mineral spirits
1 ounce of Naptha (to help speed the drying process)

Wipe on with a cotton rag with a generous portion on the rag. Let that coat dry for 12 hours. Next buff with a white synthetic pad, wipe clean and apply a 2nd coat of the same finish. You don't want to mix much of this at a time as it will "set" on you if it is stored for any real length of time.

After the 2nd coat, it's up to you if you want to apply another coat or two. When done, buff with some felt material from your local sewing center after it has dried well for 24 hours. You'll be amazed at the shine and color contrast between the light and dark woods you've chosen. :D

Mike Tempel
03-01-2005, 1:13 AM
I used General Finishes clear gloss poly on a dresser I made from quarter sawn red oak and was very pleased with the results. It did not yellow at all and provided a clear glossy finish that is very durable as well. For my first experience with this particular brand I was very happy with it. I got it from Rockler.

By the way - welcome to the Creek - hope you will join us more in the future. However, we will bug you for pictures of your projects.

Brad Olson
03-01-2005, 1:18 AM
You can simplify Dennis's recipe...

1/3 Boiled Linseed oil
1/3 polyurethane
1/3 Naptha or mineral spirits (Naptha if it is humid, mineral spirits if is is dry)

wipe on about 4-10 coats depending on how much buildup you want. I usually rub it down between coats with steel wool. This usually results in a nice sheen

You can vary the poly content to suit how much film formation you want.

If you don't like to mix it, General Finishes seal a cell and arm R seal system is very similar to what is described above

This will usually darken the wood nicely, but without yellowing.

Jim Becker
03-01-2005, 9:36 AM
In any of the recipes above, you can substitute any alkyd or phenolic oil-based varnish for the polyurethane varnish and you may gain more clarity from making that change. A soya-based product will have the lightest color...Pratt and Lambert #38 is a good example of that. Sherwin Williams Fast Dry Varnish is also a good choice and is more readily available.

Sam Blasco
03-01-2005, 9:40 AM
A water based acrylic or poly will not yellow at all.

jerry mayfield
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
with Jim's recipe you have a danish oil that will stay clearer than one made using polyurathane varnish.
regards
jerry

Craig Salyers
03-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Wow. I leave for a couple hours and I got 8 replies. Thanks alot. I will probably try out all the suggestions to see which on I like best.

Thanks again for the input.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Craig,

One thing I have experienced with Danish Oil is that it will darken the wood, sometimes dramatically....this is the primary reason why I am now using the tung oil / Poly / Mineral spirit mix. BLO works well too, but I try to keep the wood at least close to it's color and I've had BLO turn some wood too amber in color for my taste. So far, the tung oil mix has worked very well. ;)

jerry mayfield
03-02-2005, 11:03 AM
All danish oil is vanish,a drying oil and solvent.

regards
jerry

Craig Salyers
03-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Has anyone tried the Minwax Polycrylic product. How was it. Does it darken or yellow the wood. Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

Chuck Radgowski
03-04-2005, 8:30 AM
Has anyone tried the Minwax Polycrylic product. How was it. Does it darken or yellow the wood. Pros? Cons? Thoughts?I installed all new Pella windows in my house 5 years ago using 3 coats of water based minwax polycrilic. I love it the Bay window looks as fresh and clear as the day it was first installed. I used high gloss.:) I also used it on a book shelf system I built.
I will attach pictures tonight can not get through firewall. Any one know what size is allowed?