PDA

View Full Version : Another spalted Horse Chestnut hollowform

John Spitters
10-17-2011, 7:26 PM
Measures 9 1/2"w x 4 1/4"h
I used a med blue procion dye, just one wash coat with a foam brush.
The Horse Chestnut was nearly to the point of no return but I think that with the dye I gave it new life.
I'm still thinking of putting some sort of finial on the piece. The small collar extension is from a piece of spalted BL Maple. next time I think that if I add this type of collar I may do pyro work on it rather than color it the same as the rest of the form.

C & C welcome.

John

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2011, 7:44 PM
Now that is a pretty piece. I do like the blue. I think some pyro on the lip and down inside the collar would set it off really nicely.

Harry Robinette
10-17-2011, 7:45 PM
John
Would love to see picture further down to see how it sits. It's definitely beautiful and I really love the color can't wait to see what you come up with for the finial.

Baxter Smith
10-17-2011, 8:24 PM
Love the colors on this one John. I think it looks great on its own though the natural wood inside seems to be a little distracting. A little black in there perhaps?

Sid Matheny
10-17-2011, 8:34 PM
Well I like it! What finish did you use?

Sid

Paul Heely
10-17-2011, 8:35 PM
The color on this is great. Nice job. I agree that the color needs something else.

John Keeton
10-17-2011, 8:58 PM
Awesome color!!! I like the form - better even without the collar addition, but it is a little late for that. I agree on blacking out the interior.

Jon Nuckles
10-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Really like the color, John. Had to look up Procion dye. Now I know what it is, but wonder what you'll do if you use it up on woodturnings and need to tie-dye a shirt in a hurry?

Michelle Rich
10-18-2011, 6:05 AM
that blue is "electric." jumps put and grabs the eyes. Dunno if I like it. Maybe in person . Or maybe I need a cup of coffee and look at it somemore so it can grow on me!!! :-) It's quite interesting.

Norm Zax
10-18-2011, 8:06 AM
Love the blue! Whats the black?
Collar needs to change somehow...

John Spitters
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I think that I may just put this piece back on the Vacumm chuck and see if I can do something about the collar, perhaps turn it down so that it does not stand as high, then remove the finish from it and do some pyro work on it, ? we'll see!
Michelle. the black is just the spalt in the wood, the Horse Chestnut was heavily spalted almost to the point of not being able to turn it.

John

David E Keller
10-18-2011, 9:19 PM
That's pretty cool! The coloring is fantastic, and the tall neck works for me... It's a little different than the norm which is part of the reason I like it.

Kathy Marshall
10-19-2011, 1:19 AM
Love the color on this one! I'm with David , I like the tall neck, and agree that some black on the inside and rim would look good, but I also wonder how it would look if the collar was also dyed black. Just a thought, and I could be way off base.

John Keeton
10-19-2011, 6:48 AM
Interestingly, when I looked up Procion dye, it seems the medium blue that John used has very good lightfast qualities according to their chart. Not sure how that compares to some of the metal acid dyes, but it is a plus for sure. For a vivid blue, that is just about as good as I have seen.

Donny Lawson
10-19-2011, 5:33 PM
Beautiful blue tone color. Great shape.