PDA

View Full Version : Consistency of Mahoney's Oil Wax Finish

Glenn Barber
10-17-2011, 6:01 PM
I bought the last jar of Mahoney's Oil Wax Finish from the local WoodCraft over the weekend. I checked it when I got home and found the oil had separated a little and was pooled on top. No big deal, just stirred it back up with a wooden craft stick. That's when I noticed that the consistency seemed very thin, like applesauce. Let it set overnight and re-checked it. No change in thickness. Is this the right consistency? Should I return it?

Thanks,
Glenn

Paul Heely
10-17-2011, 6:27 PM
I just bought a can and mine is not thin like applesauce. The best thing I can think of to compare it with would be soft serve ice cream, but not quite as tasty.

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2011, 7:49 PM
Mine is the same and it works just fine.

Curt Fuller
10-17-2011, 9:19 PM
I'm just guessing here Glenn, but beings as you're in Kentucky and Paul is in Connecticut it might just be a difference in temperature. Try putting your Mahoney's in the refrigerator and see if that doesn't harden it up (after you've stirred it up real well).

Glenn Barber
10-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Bernie- Is your oil wax like mine, the applesauce, or Paul's?

Curt- Thought about heat also, but we have been reasonably cool in the days and nights. I also have a commercially made mineral oil and beeswax finish that has never been this thin and isn't or hasn't broken down due to heat issues either. I know that varying the amount of oil to wax creates different viscosities as well. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Glenn

Paul Heely
10-18-2011, 6:12 AM
For reference the temperature in my workshop is in the high 60's to low 70's right now. Shop is in the basement and has central heating and cooling, though right now its the perfect time of year when the windows get to stay open.