PDA

View Full Version : removing rust from chrome with electrolysis?

James Baker SD
10-17-2011, 4:19 PM
I have used the electrolysis method (workpiece and sacrificial scrap of iron immersed in alkaline solution with battery driving current through the system) to remove rust from iron several times and have been very pleased with the results. Now I want to restore a chrome plated grill cover from an exhaust fan. Lots of little spots (dots) of rust, no flaking of the chrome yet. Would this same electrolysis approach work on chrome? Thanks.

James

Bob Wingard
10-17-2011, 5:06 PM
I would only resort to that treatment after failed attempts using a good grade of chrome polish ... Simichrome comes to mind, bet there are others as well.

Stephen Cherry
10-17-2011, 5:49 PM
Barkeepers friend, about 3 dollars, at the grocery store near the abrasive cleaners.

It contains a mild acid that should take off the rust. I use at as a first thing to try on any kind of discoloration.

James Baker SD
10-17-2011, 5:57 PM
The rusting grill is louvered (probably stamped from a sheet of steel before plating) and has a lot of hard to reach surfaces due to the close spacing of the louvers. That's why I was hoping to employ a method that did not require rubbing the surfaces.

James

Sean Troy
10-17-2011, 6:22 PM
I've used navel jelly on chrome wheels with great results.

bill tindall
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
If there are rust spots on the chrome it means the chrome plating has been breached and there is iron exposed. This situation sets up a situation where the corrosion proceeds under the chrome plating in the vicinity of the breach. The chrome become the cathode and reduces oxygen and the oxygen deficient area under the plating becomes an anode and iron dissolves/rusts. It is the same situation as a paint chip on a car or any iron that is painted or coated. The risk of electrolysis is that hydrogen gas will be generated under chrome planing in the vicinity of these holes in the plating. If this happens more of the chrome plating will come off leading to a visually worsened situation.

Maybe you could do a small portion of the grill and see how it goes. Mechanical polishing will be safer.

James Baker SD
10-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks Bill. That explanation makes it pretty clear. Looks like I will be trying the chrome polish first.

James

Chris Tsutsui
10-18-2011, 1:01 PM
Wow one of these days I'd like to try an eletrolysis experiment though it sounds dangerous.

If the chrome plating gets a chip in it, it's considered a holiday and there will be accelerated corrosion at that single point.

Corrosion does require one key factor and that is an electrolyte which is typically water and other contaminants. Since this grille is part of an exhaust fan it probably gets condensation buildup and "erosion" type of corrosion from particles.

Because you can't use an epoxy or paint type of coating, you can probably use a clear protective oil, wax, or film to protect it. This will at least prevent condensation that helps the corrosion.

Damion Bevacqua
10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I think Bill makes a lot of sense... I'm not sure how the electrolysis would work out with the chrome.

That being said, I've recently begun using electrolysis to restore firearms - it is unbelievably effective and the results are amazing. The first time I tried electrolysis was with an very rough looking 30-40 Krag I picked up for $150. It came out much better than I ever would have imagined.

Jim Finn
10-19-2011, 9:42 PM
Have you considered a new grill?

James Baker SD
10-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi Jim:

That would be the best option, but they are 35 year old vent fans and I considered myself lucky to still find a replacement motors for them this week. Unfortunately it mounts directly into the ducting and the ceiling is built around the ducting. No currently available fan is the same dimensions, so I am stuck with repairing the old fans (I have two) or doing a major remodel of the bathroom ceilings (which I am not prepared to do).

James