PDA

View Full Version : Any videos to watch to get ready for a first turning lesson?

Derek Gilmer
10-17-2011, 3:12 PM
I've been toying with the idea of spinny things since I got back into woodworking a few years ago. But there was always another tool I "needed" to get my shop setup. I've finally reached a point where I feel pretty good about the setup and am thinking of trying my hand at making round objects.

Luckily there is a local turner who does some really good work and works at the same company as I do. I chatted with him this morning for awhile about turning and he was nice enough to invite me out to try my hand at the lathe next week.

I'd like to make the most of the few hours I'll have and not waste his time. Would you all recommend trying to watch any videos or ready any articles about turning before going or is it best to show up as a blank slate?

Josh Bowman
10-17-2011, 3:53 PM
I started with Bill Grumbine's Turned Bowls Made Easy and Mike Mahoney's Bowl Basics. These gave me clue in the right direction to go.

Jim Burr
10-17-2011, 4:11 PM
I kinda dependes on what you want to make Derek. CSUSA and other sources have some great DVD's with great projects from honey dippers to yoyo's, from peppermills to bird houses, bowls and pens. Youtube is packed with great videos on anything you want to turn. Now you begin to understand the depths of the hole you've dug for your wallet!!

Derek Gilmer
10-17-2011, 4:14 PM
My initial hit of the crack cocaine of turning is to make pieces for a chess board and some Christmas ornaments. The master plan is to buy a good mini or midi lathe since I know a full powermatic is off the budget for now. Especially with the cost of tools/accessories for turning. Then once my better half is hooked on spinny goodness filling the house I'll hit her up for the fancy lathe :).

I know the guys I'm visiting is a great turner having seen his work and been impressed. I'm just not sure if going in prepped with knowledge or being a blank slate is best.

Wally Dickerman
10-17-2011, 4:25 PM
As a long time turning teacher my suggestion is go with the blank slate. Experienced turners such as your friend will have different approaches to turning and teaching. I would rather teach a beginner with no pre-conceived notions on turning

After your session with your turning friend, then you might watch a recommended video to get another take on techniques, etc.

There is no real subsitute for hands-on learning.

Donny Lawson
10-17-2011, 4:48 PM
Really, hands on and pay attention. I had a friend teach me and the first day I thought I was going to make a bowl but it did not happen. The first day was learning the tool and riding the bevel. So all I made was shavings, but I did learn how to ride the bevel. It was fun. The second day I learned shape and hollowing out the inside. Finally the third day he gave me a piece of wood and said,"Let's see what you learned". So I made a bowl. Turned out well.

Tim Rinehart
10-17-2011, 4:50 PM
one thing for sure...if I were to want to make some chess pieces, I would want to get very comfortable with the skew, it's not the only way, but master it early and most other tools will be easier as well.

Grant Wilkinson
10-17-2011, 5:01 PM
If you are looking to buy DVD's, I'll second the recommendation of Bill Grumbine's video. If you want to watch on youtube, search on bobham5. Bob Hamilton has many videos on there. They are all worth a look.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-17-2011, 5:37 PM
No matter which ones you buy, my advise is to watch them over and over. Then try what you think you learned then watch them some more. I believe our ability to understand grows with our experience. Each time you review then practice then view again, you will see something the practice makes you understand better and the lesson will make more sense. Having reread the sentence I just wrote, I hope I made sense. Have fun.
faust

Nate Davey
10-17-2011, 5:51 PM
I learned a great deal from Bob Hamiltons videos on YouTube.

phil harold
10-17-2011, 6:31 PM
As a long time turning teacher my suggestion is go with the blank slate.

There is no real subsitute for hands-on learning.

+1 on that!

dennis kranz
10-17-2011, 7:08 PM
There are all kinds of films to watch on Utube. Try the Jet Tools site on Utube for some very nice ones.
Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2011, 7:47 PM
I started with Bill Grumbine's Turned Bowls Made Easy and Mike Mahoney's Bowl Basics. These gave me clue in the right direction to go.

+1 on the above. The only thing I would add would be Keith Rowley's book Woodturning a Foundation Course. I definitely think working with a experienced turner is best.

David Warkentin
10-17-2011, 8:05 PM
First thing you might want to do is advertise all your tools except your bandsaw and your grinder. You will know what I mean shortly...

Derek Gilmer
10-17-2011, 8:54 PM
Thanks for all the great advice on videos to watch. I think I'll go into the first turning lesson as a blank slate then probably hope my boss doesn't find me watching turning videos at work all week :)

Jake Helmboldt
10-17-2011, 9:58 PM
I suggest Raffan's Turning Wood video and accompanying book. Grumbine's vids are bowl turning (unless he has produces something on spindle turning that I missed). Raffan covers everything; soup to nuts and the book is a good complement.

Antonio Martinez
10-18-2011, 8:32 AM
Oh and don't forget about Capt. Eddie Castelin series of video's on YouTube. Fantastic (over 100) on everthing from beginning to what tools you need (see his Turning 101 series) to advanced techniques. I've learned a lot from Capt Eddie and Bob Hamilton on Youtube. It's amazing what's out there for free if you take the time to look.

Paul Heely
10-18-2011, 8:42 AM
I just remembered that Packard Woodworks has short clips online of all the videos they sell. Not a whole lot of information in each one, but will give you a flavor for the style of the video.

Betty Fox
10-18-2011, 8:58 AM
David,
That table saw also comes in handy for segmenting. :)

Tony De Masi
10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Being from Conway I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you may be taking some lessons from Mr. Cothren. If so, then I recommend a blank slate and let an extremely talented turner do his work with you.

Derek Gilmer
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Being from Conway I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you may be taking some lessons from Mr. Cothren. If so, then I recommend a blank slate and let an extremely talented turner do his work with you.

You are correct and I'm committed to the blank slate approach.

Rusty Smith
10-18-2011, 5:04 PM
Well I would have guessed either Mark or Dennis, Mark it is. Dennis mentored me when I first started and was in ArKansas. I still have a ton of pen blanks that he gave me when I first started, probably enough to last another 10 years. I miss some of my old Acxi-buddies, but not the company.

Tell Mark Rusty says hi.

David E Keller
10-18-2011, 9:16 PM
Congrats on hooking up with one of the finest natural edge bowl turners I've ever seen!