PDA

View Full Version : Oak HF

Josh Bowman
10-17-2011, 1:09 PM
This is a large hunk of oak. The HF was finished with many coats of lacquer. It's about 9" x 5 1/2". For some reason the Oak was very "grabby" at the Monster hollowing rig. More than once it came off the chuck! Then the cracking began, however I kind of like them. I had to turn awhile then seal the cracks with CA glue awhile. What do you think?

John Keeton
10-17-2011, 1:51 PM
Josh, I expect the crotch figure and end grain were what caused issues for you. Smaller entry hole on this one - looks good.

steven carter
10-17-2011, 1:54 PM
Josh,

Looks real good, I would call this one medullary majesty!

Donny Lawson
10-17-2011, 4:38 PM
Josh, oak is prone to cracking anyway. Plus the open pores of the wood make it grab alot. I don't like turning oak much. Yours turned out well.

charlie knighton
10-17-2011, 5:09 PM
very nice, oak grows on you, you might try putting some blanks that are freshly cut in cardboard barrels or boxes for several months, turn the blanks that do not crack, try
6 x 6 x 6 first, then if you want larger try them, the larger the blank the more prone it is to cracking, best to box the day tree cut down, enjoy

Baxter Smith
10-17-2011, 7:32 PM
Nice shape and pretty wood Josh. Have only roughed out a couple of endgrain hf's from green oak. They were both turned thin. They didn't crack but I frequently rewet the outside with water while hollowing. Perhaps a coat of shellac on the outside before beginning hollwing would help if you try another one out of oak.

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2011, 7:40 PM
Good form and some pretty wood. That one turned out really nice. I don't mind turning oak but not as a HF as you are right it does get grabby. Light cuts are in order.

Joe Watson
10-18-2011, 1:17 AM
Im not a real big fan of Oak, but that looks nice.

Kathy Marshall
10-18-2011, 2:13 AM
Looks good Josh! I'm with Baxter, I keep a spray bottle filled with water in the shop and for wood that is prone to cracking, I spritz it down as I'm turning the outside. When the outside is done (I turn and sand the outside before starting on hollowing) I give it a good coat of oil (BLO or DO) to help slow down the drying on the outside.

Michelle Rich
10-18-2011, 5:51 AM
I think you did very well. I dislike turning oak, so bravo to you for "gettin' 'er done!"

Paul Heely
10-18-2011, 5:57 AM
Good looking piece. I have a love hate relationship with oak. I love the way it looks when done and hate turning it. Nice job seeing it through to the end.