PDA

View Full Version : Hey John K!!

Dick Wilson
10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I have been AWOL from my shop since the symposium. Flu followed by bronchitus. It would have killed a lesser man;). I put the Euc. Gum Burl on the lathe this morning and discovered a couple of things right off. The wood dulls the tools in no time and a dusk mask is mandatory. Did you find the same? This piece of wood is definately going to stretch my skills.:eek:

John Keeton
10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Dick, I am not sure turning that Euc. burl is a good plan after a bout with respiratory issues!!!! You are correct - it dulls tools quickly, and creates very fine dust. Without doubt, the most challenging wood for me to date. Hope you are able to whip it into submission - and, that you don't relapse!

Dick Wilson
10-17-2011, 12:10 PM
A bad choice of wood to ease back into indeed!!! I think I am going to set it on my bench to collect dust for a while:) I was not only affected by the dust but the smell got to me as well. Since you had problem with dull tools I at least know that I have not forgotten how to turn:D:D

Harry Robinette
10-17-2011, 8:52 PM
Dick
I have trouble with my lungs and that Euc darn near killed me and I was wearing my air filter face shield. Wait tell spring and open up the shop then put a fan blowing out. This is suppose to be fun not life threatening. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope everythings Ok now.

Curt Fuller
10-17-2011, 9:01 PM
Dick, just smoke a couple menthol cigarettes while you're turning that stuff and it will be just like sucking on a Hall's Menthol Eucalyptus lozenge.:cool::cool::eek::eek:

(maybe that's why I practice driving a truck instead of practicing medicine)

Dick Wilson
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Harry, I am 90% back but I have lost many shop hours and it really is getting to me. If it goes on any longer I will forget all the marvelous turning ideas I picked up at the symposium:rolleyes:

Dick Wilson
10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Dick, just smoke a couple menthol cigarettes while you're turning that stuff and it will be just like sucking on a Hall's Menthol Eucalyptus lozenge.:cool::cool::eek::eek:

(maybe that's why I practice driving a truck instead of practicing medicine)

Curt, I think that would be a bad, bad, bad, bad idea. A lit cigerette would probably ignite the dust as it comes off the lathe. I don't think I really want to experience what it feels like to be in the middle of an explosion:eek::eek:

terry mccammon
10-18-2011, 2:24 PM
Glad to hear you are recovering, take care of yourself. Thanks again for kindness at Cincinnati symposium.

My understanding is that Euc is rated as very toxic. Check it out before you work on this again.