PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2011, 8:18 AM
17 Oct 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, the weather here has been GREAT and I'm happy to say that more of the legal stuff for my mom is getting done since my last visit with her. I never knew that there was so much to do when someone passes away. Wow!!!

The LOML and I got in the shop last week and cleaned up one of the bays. It looks a LOT better now. We have one more bay to clean up and then I'll be back in there making sawdust again.

I wanted to ask my fellow ww'ing community......My air compressor has started a slight air leak at the drain valve. I've filled up the 60 gallon tank and drained it to try and blow any trash in the way of the valve seat so that it would seal well again, but I've not had any luck in getting the drain valve to seat cleanly to prevent an air leak. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I can to to resolve this issue.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Anthony Whitesell
10-17-2011, 8:58 AM
Dennis: Are you still using the petcock style drain valve? Mine died rather quickly after purchasing the compressor. I changed it out to a 1/4" quarter turn ball valve. Makes a lot of noise if you open it fully but gets the job done quick. I then added a HF auto drain as well.

As for my weekend, I did lots and lots of woodworking. My father an I finished splitting, hauling, loading, hauling, and unloading the last of the trees that came down last spring. The last two cords or so. The trailer I used holds almost 3,000 pounds and the truck should hold another 1300 pounds, but I lose 300 pounds in tongue weight from the trailer. I made two trips to his house with 4,000 pounds of wood in each trip. Today I'm beat, but the job is finally done. Except for the clean-up...making firewood makes quite a mess.

David Hostetler
10-17-2011, 2:00 PM
Had a catastrophic end of the week / weekend at work, pulled a 24 hour shift straight, snoozed for 4 hours, and got back on the horse as it were... I am now wishing very hateful things to certain developers in Redmond Washington...

On the valve issue. Mind you I have a MUCH smaller compressor, but I mounted a street elbow where the OEM valve went, then installed a ball valve in place of the OEM petcock valve. No jamming, positive open and close... Well worth the time and expense of getting it done.

Derek Gilmer
10-17-2011, 3:05 PM
Not much in the way of actually wood working but it was a great weekend/early monday morning.

First, on Friday night our 7.5 month old said his first word. I was carrying him in my arm and he looked at me, pulled out is pacifier, smiled and said "Da Da" then closed his eyes and went to sleep.
Then Saturday I got the tracking # for my skew chisels, mortise chisels and one more bevel edge chisel from LV.
Finally Monday a.m. I ran across a turner at work (Mark C) who Dennis got into turning many years ago and chatted with him about turning. He was gracious enough to invite me out next week to give me a turning lesson or two.

Maybe I'll actually make some sawdust this week.

John M. Johnson
10-17-2011, 7:31 PM
I finally installed my benchdog lift in the wing of my SS. Man is it difficult to cut a hole in the top of you wing <cring>. It is very nice to have the 7519 back in a real lift. After that was done, I switched over and made a tabletop for my trim router (similar to what Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30716)just introduced).