PDA

View Full Version : Brick Vitrification, Durability and Price

Jonathan Overlin
10-16-2011, 8:35 PM
Hello Creekers,

I have a job request to do "1's and 2's" of Donor bricks for a local non-profit. They gave me a test brick and I have had good luck with a 2 pass protocol (one pass at 100/.8/1000 and a second pass at 100/6/1000) on my Trotec 100. The first pass goes deep(maybe a 1/16"), the second clears up some discoloration and gives a nice black glass. The only problem is that the bricks they have had done in the past look as they must have been sandblasted (like 1/4" deep) and color filled.

Here are my questions-
1. Durability- Since my depth is so much less than the sandblast version, does anyone here have experience that could assure me that the fused glass will have the same long term durability as the sandblasted/ color filled variety?

2. Since I'm only doing "one's and two's" any thoughts on pricing? Has anyone here ever priced these in quantity, or through sandblasting?

Thanks all,
Jonathan

Emma austin
10-16-2011, 9:32 PM
Hi,I have done quite a bit of research on this. There are pros and cons for both methods, but I would use he following pros to back up your method:- going deep (such as sandblasting) can cause inside of letters to become fragile and may chip off. Also if they are pavers they will keep filling with sand and grit etc- vitrification will outlast the brick. You have turned the clay in to glass, it ain't going anywhere!!Just my thoughts. I like how there is no masking and painting this way :)

Martin Boekers
10-17-2011, 5:58 PM
If your set up for sand etching you could blast away the laser afterwords to get the glass effect.
Most the places are priced wwhat I feel is pretty cheap for these bricks. Have you thought of granite bricks?
Lasersketch has 4x8x1 inch for about $8ea, 4x8x2 for about $15ea may be good alternative.

lee chitwood
10-17-2011, 6:22 PM
Accidentally, 40% of my jobs are brick and I cut the stencil with the laser (30 watt ULS) then sandblast, paint with Lithichrome before stencil is removed. Ooops
"trade secret" here! Lasering requires way to much laser time to make it pay unless you use a 100+ watt machine. I'm talking probably 30-45 mins in a two pass...hardly worth the $15-$25 charge. No argument that the vitrification will last, but you know what they say about "carved in stone"!

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2011, 7:58 PM
My experience has been it takes about 12-15 minutes, not 45, with a 45W laser.

Ross Moshinsky
10-17-2011, 9:23 PM
My experience has been it takes about 12-15 minutes, not 45, with a 45W laser.

I've found sandblasters and laser engravers have far different definitions of what is deep enough.

Donna Kobyluk
10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
The best laser engraving on brick is with a yaglaser. CO2 lasers can do it but will take a slower engraving time & high power. The right brick engraved will melt your mark and fuse into the clay.."vitrified". The mark will be stronger then the brick. Take it from a past brick chick..(Laser Impressions, Inc~ Pro) Standard laser engraving prices from $15-20 for a 4x8/100. Don't sandblast...poor durability!!

Emma austin
10-18-2011, 5:02 AM
Not sure how you are making them take 45 mins?Bricks I have done this way take about 5-7 total, for a first name and surname. Much quicker than masking, sandblasting and painting, then removing mask.

Scott Shepherd
10-18-2011, 8:17 AM
I've found sandblasters and laser engravers have far different definitions of what is deep enough.

It's not about depth when you use the laser as a process. It turns the clay into glass, it doesn't raster engrave away the brick.

Ross Moshinsky
10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
It's not about depth when you use the laser as a process. It turns the clay into glass, it doesn't raster engrave away the brick.

Which is exactly my point. If you told a sandblaster you were going to hand out a brick that wasn't engraved at least 1/16" and simply had the top layer turned to glass, they'd think you were crazy.

Martin Boekers
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Not sure how you are making them take 45 mins?Bricks I have done this way take about 5-7 total, for a first name and surname. Much quicker than masking, sandblasting and painting, then removing mask.

The key here is to finding a good quality clay paver. I have some that take a long time and many passes and some that engrave quickly.
I have stayed away from the bricks and when needed just do Granite. I am very careful about projects that are ment to endure outdoor
evironments. The profitability as opposed to replacing them if they fail just isn't there for me. Engraved Brick vendors prices are too
low to justify that market for my shop with a guarentee.

Scott Shepherd
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Which is exactly my point. If you told a sandblaster you were going to hand out a brick that wasn't engraved at least 1/16" and simply had the top layer turned to glass, they'd think you were crazy.

Then they should educate themselves on the market and realize that the people that have a patent on doing that sell 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of bricks and have been for many years now. You don't have to engrave into the brick to make a long lasting product.