PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Living Room

Tom Scott
10-16-2011, 6:19 PM
Here are three shaker-ish pieces that span several years. The simplest side table was done about 6 years ago, the side table with a drawer was completed about 1 year ago and the coffee was just completed a few months ago.
All pieces are solid cherry. Finish was 1 coat of BLO, shellac and then varnish.
next on the list is an entertainment center, and we all know how much the shakers liked those.

Tom21034521034421034621034721034821034921035021035 1

Jim Becker
10-16-2011, 8:48 PM
Very nice work!

craig lorence
10-16-2011, 9:16 PM
Very beautiful furniture nicely done.:)

gary Zimmel
10-16-2011, 9:35 PM
Real nice set Tom. Great work on those hand cut dovetails and the drawer front detail.

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
10-17-2011, 8:04 AM
Tom, I really like the design of the coffee table, is it your own, a picture, or a plan? I noted that the top brace and bottom legs are different, did you consider using the same curves from the top on the legs? I am in the middle of rebuilding my shop, put in a wooden floor (over concrete) and now hanging dust piping, but your coffee table is motivating me for my next project. Thanks

Tom Scott
10-17-2011, 5:17 PM
Thaks for the comments all.

David,
All the designs are my own, but I have obviously been influenced by a lot of other nice furniture that I have seen over the years and tend towards Shaker style. The coffee table started out with the simple idea of shrinking a traditional Shaker trestle table down to coffee table size, however the co-director of design in our house REALLY did not like the traditional arched foot. Those arches are also a lot taller, which don't work as well for a small table. If you check out Charles Durfee's site you will see the influence for the foot I ended up with. I still have my own twists on it, though. The top brace is one example (at least I think so as I never actually saw what Charles' looked like). I played with different variations, including a top that was more symmetrical with the bottom, a bottom that was more symmetrical with the top, and different variations of each...it just didn't suit my eye as well.

Bobby O'Neal
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Beautiful stuff. Nice details and love the coffee table proportions.

John Nesmith
10-27-2011, 3:49 PM
Very nice. I particularly like the coffee table. I hope you don't mind - I saved the pics to my "inspirational" folder.