PDA

View Full Version : LOML wants to learn to turn

Marty Walsh
02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
LOML works in the shop with me a lot. Lately, she's started eyeing my old ShopSmith 510 and the POS Harbor Freight (aka Central Machinery) lathe that are both collecting dust in the shop. (Actually, the ShopSmith gets used occasionally, just not as a lathe.)

She's told me she wants to try her hand at turning. Since I never spent enough time at the lathe to get proficient, I'm afaid I won't be of much use to her in overcoming the learning curve. So I'm turning to all the experts here to see if you can recommend a good website to show her the basics. If not a website, then how about a very simple, quick-n-dirty book to get her started?

I know neither of the "lathes" in my shop are exactly the highest quality, nor are the turning tools I have. But I'm hoping it's enough to give her an idea if turning is something she wants to pursue. If she decides she does like turning, I'm sure I'll be posting a request for advice on what sort of 'real' equipment to get her. No, on second thought, I'll have her setup her own id on here and let HER post the request! ;)

We both thank you all in advance...

Marty (and Denise)

Carole Valentine
02-28-2005, 10:43 PM
She will probably be hooked. Won't be long before she'll be doing bowls and pestering you for her own Powermatic. :eek: Penn State has a free pen turning video and you can also get pen kits, bottle stopper kits, perfume holder kits and all sorts of other stuff. You'll need a pen mandrel to fit your lathe (#2 MT maybe, depending on you lathe) Slimline pen kits are good starters (be sure to order the bushings and an appropriate size drill bit to drill the blanks.) An even better idea is to send her to a beginning turning class somewhere. Woodcraft has lots of turning classes, but I think the nearest one to you is Springfield. At any rate, tell her to go for it...she'll love it!

Marty Walsh
03-01-2005, 7:42 AM
Carole,

I'm sure you're right about her getting hooked. That's why I want to get her off on the right track. As for pens, in an impulsive moment in Woodcraft in Springfield, I stocked up on everything needed to do pens, mandrel, bushings, press, blanks, etc. (I thought I'd find time to get into pens, but alas I've been too busy.)

I like the idea of classes, but think that might be a next step. She met some of the area carvers at the recent Chantilly WW show and has expressed an interest in heading to Woodcraft for one of their meetings. Maybe we can combine it and have her take a look at some turning stuff while she's down there.

I'll have a look at the Penn State site and see if I can get her that video. What about 'instructional' websites? Is there anything that would walk her through the basics of toolrest height, approach angle, etc.?

Thanks again...
- Marty -

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2005, 8:27 AM
Marty,

To learn out to make pens, I took a bunch of cheap cut offs (Nothing figured or exotic), cut them to a pen blank length and then drilled 1/4 inch holes in them. 1/4" is the inside diameter of the brass tubes for slimlines. If you drill out the blanks like this, you don't have to waste pen kits. She can practice getting the shapes she likes and doesn't have to worry about the kits. Once she has the shapes she likes, have her start on kits.

At least it worked for me! ;)

Carole Valentine
03-01-2005, 9:20 AM
I think they cover tool presentation in the Penn State video but can't remember. As a relative newbie myself, all I can say is give her a couple of spindle blanks to play with and get a feel for turning. Warn her that turning a square blank to round can be a tad nerve wracking the first time until she gets the corners off, then it will smooth out. Be sure she has sharp gouges...nothing more frustrating than a dull tool. I have started using a skew for initial roughing on pen blanks but I don't recommend that for a first timer. Give her a sharp roughing gouge then once she has gotten to round, have her use a spindle gouge. Don't forget eye/face/lung protection!
I have not yet taken any Woodcraft classes, but I just signed up for a bowl turning class at the one in VA Beach on the 26th of this month. I can't wait!:D

Dan Gill
03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
I think I bought "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" when my son was looking at starting to turn. He never read it, but I thought it was a good book. Not that I've done any turning, either. I'm swamped with flat stuff to make.

Raymond Kallman
03-01-2005, 12:55 PM
There are lots of avenues to help a new turner. As was mentioned earlier, new turners can take a class at WoodCraft in Norfolk...either one put on by WoodCraft or by the Tidewater Turners who meet there. The experience is well worth the price of admission. The Tidewater Turners also have a mentor program that connects new turners with experienced turners for help and advice.

There are a couple of good web sites that will help (with the caveat that reading about turning is not nearly as good a teacher as working hands on.)

http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html
http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Beginners/beginners.html
http://www.btinternet.com/~fulton/turntips.htm
http://geocities.com/weymouth2000uk/

But the best training is to find an experienced turner and work with them as often as they'll let you.

Ray

David Fried
03-01-2005, 3:29 PM
I have a copy of the Penn State DVD. It is pretty good. I can drop it in the mail if you want it. Let me know.

Marty Walsh
03-02-2005, 3:06 PM
Denise and I thank you all for your input.

We ventured down to Woodcraft last night to wander around. She ogled the over abundance of turning tools they have, and then spent some time flipping through a few of the turning books they have.

We also heard from someone that teachs turning classes at Woodcraft. That's something she's expressed interest in, (as some of you have said, hands on being the best way to learn).

At this point, the plan is for her to get in front of the lathe this weekend. I'll mount some spindle stock and let her get some wood flying. If she finds it to her liking, she'll most likely wind up in a class.

With any luck, after this weekend she'll be posting a pic of her first 'round thing'. (Just go gentle on her ;) )

Thanks again...
Marty (and Denise)

Lloyd Frisbee
03-02-2005, 3:50 PM
Shortly after I started turning, my wife got hooked too. She bought her own lathe and now turns more than me. I have been having health problems preventing me from doing much of anything. She has turned pens, perfume pens, mirrors, pocket watches. She has been turing corian lately. She has recently done some dragonflys that she saw in an old Woodturning (UK) magazine. The wings are made from "shrinky dink" material instead of stained glass like the mag. I suppose I should snap some pics soon for the photo police.

Lloyd

Carole Valentine
03-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Marty, if you really want her to get hooked, mount up a small green piece of something. Those long shavings are mezmerizing!

Alan Turner
03-03-2005, 5:26 AM
Marty,
You might consider a gift to her of Bill Grumbine's turning DVD. People here at the creek have given it rave reviews.

Ed Lang
03-03-2005, 8:06 AM
I second the Bill Grumbines DVD!

I was given it for Christmas and have watched it many times since. I have even thought about taking the portable DVD player to the shop so I could watch then pause and practice. I get a lot more out of someone showing me something than reading a book that tells me the same thing.

(any turners near Charlottesville, VA want to mentor me?)

My wife is in the shop with the scrollsaw now and is branching out to the other machines as the need comes up. No interest in the lathe...... yet :-)

Marty Walsh
03-03-2005, 3:23 PM
Alan/Ed,

We hadn't heard about Bill's DVD before, but after doing some reading, I've placed an order. Thanks for the pointer.

Carol,

Thanks for the suggestion about something green, but...I don't know if I want to get her totally hooked too quickly. Buying her loads of turning equipment will put a damper on my Festool purchases!!! :eek:

Seriously though, we live on a few wooded acres and have all sorts of limbs around. Is there a particular type of green wood I should consider (hardwood, softwood, standing dead, live, etc.)? And what caveats are there for green turning? In my limited turning experience, that's not something I've ever attempted.

Thanks again to everyone...keep an eye out for a pic of Denise's first round thing this weekend...;)

Marty (n Denise)

Carole Valentine
03-03-2005, 6:23 PM
My first green wood was a piece of a small holly turned between centers...just to play with. It was so much fun I went and bought a chain saw so I could get more green wood! Now I am in the process of learning how to safely use the thing. One thing about green wood, be sure and get the shavings off your tools and lathe before you leave the shop for the day. The moisture will rust stuff. DAMHIKT.

Marty Walsh
03-03-2005, 6:53 PM
Carole,

Well, Denise is our resident yard demon. She loves working out there, and has several piles of wood from this seasons cleanup. I'll have her read your posting when she gets home, (and then watch her run out into the yard to get a suitable green piece).

Marty

Marty Walsh
03-05-2005, 1:24 AM
Well, it happened way sooner than I anticipated. Denise will be pestering me for a lathe now. Thanks folks...:mad:

Seriously, I had Denise cleanup the Shopsmith and turning tools (which haven't been used in YEARS). I put a half baked edge on them, mounted a piece of pine, showed her a few basics, and set her loose.
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuw73/DSCN3242.sized.jpg

She did amazingly well, especially without any reading, and very little coaching from me. If the tools were properly sharpened, life would have been easier for her, but all in all, I'm impressed.

What do you think...Denise's FIRST ROUND THING :D
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuw73/DSCN3245.sized.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and suggestions. Bill's DVD should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to see what she can do once she knows a little more.

Marty n Denise...

Jerry Clark
03-05-2005, 9:58 AM
That is great Denise! Welcome to the "Round World".

Carole Valentine
03-06-2005, 8:58 AM
Looks like you're a natural, Denise! BTW...I find pine (at least the pine we have here) not to be the easiest wood to learn on, but it didn't seem to bother you a bit!:D