PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit and Wood Gloat

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2011, 6:14 PM
Y'all remember that Donny Lawson said he had some log he was willing to share with fellow turners. Well, this morning I took the two hour and fifteen minute drive up to Chatsworth, GA to see just what he had. Man-of-man, it was a real smorgasbord of wood. And, I am not talking about small run-of-the-mill logs either. I am talking about large diameter logs that will really challenge the 16" swing on my Delta. Some are up to 24". I have never seen a 20" diameter Bradford Pear before.

I got greedy and took: Walnut, Cherry, Hackberry, Sycamore, Holly, Maple, Ambrosia Maple, Bradford Pear, Persimmon, Box Elder, Poplar, Cedar and four nice Oak Burls.

Look at this load. Shame on me for thirty days for being so greedy.

That's my son-in-law on the left and Donny on the right. We toured his nice large shop and looked at some of his turnings. He's a super nice guy and judging from his turnings, he has excellent tool technique. He's probably gona be pissed at me, though because I brought home some of his chiggers without his permission.

These are the Oak Burls.

It will probably take me a week to turn all this.

charlie knighton
10-16-2011, 6:44 PM
nice load, you must get more done than i in a week, enjoy

Allan Ferguson
10-16-2011, 7:19 PM
How absolutely wonderful to be able to have someone like this in the area. What a haul. Drool Drool Drip Drip.

Donny Lawson
10-16-2011, 7:43 PM
Bill, I'm glad you had a chance to stop by for a visit. I just hope you can make a few good turnings from all that wood. Here are a few pics from my end.

Lee Koepke
10-16-2011, 7:44 PM
I hope I can get up there before its all gone!!!!

Bob Bergstrom
10-16-2011, 7:55 PM
Bill,It's good you don't own a semi, you might have made a dent in Donnie's wood pile. At least you didn't blown the tires on that poor little trailer.

David E Keller
10-16-2011, 7:57 PM
Congrats on the haul, and good on Donny for sharing!

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2011, 8:30 PM
Always great to hear when Creekers are able to spend some time together... especially when they get to take home some wood! Looks like quite the haul Bill! Have fun turning!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2011, 9:47 PM
Boy Bill that should keep you out of trouble for a day or two.:D;) Donny that is great that you could share. It is great when turners get together.

Thomas Canfield
10-16-2011, 9:51 PM
Bill,

The 20" Bradford Pear is a true find. I hate to pass up any BP, expecially over 10" size since it does make some excellent bowls. I did end up with one that finished out 19+" dia by about 7" high. The trouble with a bowl that size is that few can use it, and even fewer can store or display it.

Donny Lawson
10-16-2011, 9:57 PM
[QUOTE=Lee Koepke;1791185]I hope I can get up there before its all gone!!!!

Don't worry Lee, I bring home more all the time. I have some logs at work to bring home this week that is 30-35" through. There is no telling what goodies I will find. I average at least 1 truck load a week. So there is always something new here.

Sid Matheny
10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Great gloat Bill and that should keep you out of trouble for a few days.

Sid

Baxter Smith
10-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Shame on me for thirty days for being so greedy.

It will probably take me a week to turn all this.
So is the "shame" you will still feel, going to keep you from going back for more in a week and a half?;):)

Paul Heely
10-17-2011, 6:53 AM
Nice wood haul you have there Bill. Enjoy turning it. Looking forward to seeing what you make.

John Keeton
10-17-2011, 7:23 AM
Those are some "BIG OL' LOGS!!!!! Lot of neat turning wood, Bill, and I love the look of those burls!

Tim Rinehart
10-17-2011, 8:54 AM
Sweet haul! Looks like a great weekend of weather there too.