PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

Jim Burr
10-16-2011, 4:09 PM
Yes...I still turn...just not much. I started this from a half a log on my 1014...scary!! After seeing one of Steve S's pieces that was contrasted parts with no coloration, I thought "why not!" Well...I ain't no Steve so now I want to color the parts. The lid is spalted maple and the finial is euc I think.
So what are your thoughts about hitting the cap and finial with some black/brown...green and orange...red and purple:rolleyes::eek::D
8.5w 8" tall overall 4.5h finial. 4000 coats of WOP because it was/is so punky! This is the boring side of the wood.
Thanks for looking and go Raiders!!!!:p

John Keeton
10-16-2011, 5:25 PM
Jim, I would have given up after 3,998 coats of WOP!! I just don't have it in me to go the last two!:D

I kinda like the form! If you really want to do something wild with the finial, then what about doing the base in a dark color to pick up on the form - black, perhaps?, or dark brown. Then, maybe do a fade up to the top with something else. Other than black/brown, what colors are in the form - kind of hard to tell in the pic.

Wally Dickerman
10-16-2011, 5:40 PM
Okay...wanna get wild? Check out Bonnie Klein's spintops. She uses color pens in a lot of colors.

Your vessel is rather plain wood so put the accent on the finial. Might be a good idea to use grooves and a thin burning wire to outline the colors, at least on the barrel shaped part.

Have fun. A good time to turn several finials and try several different things.

David DeCristoforo
10-16-2011, 5:53 PM
I'm gonna go "all" critiquey" on you here. Partly because you asked for suggestions and partly because the form you have there is awesome. The "problem" for me is that it is being visually crushed by the mass of the lid and finial. Your form is very reminiscent of those made by of Steve Schlumpf, an undisputed master of these types of forms. I would suggest looking at some of his recent pieces or at his gallery over at Woodturner's America for ideas on how a much more delicate lid and finial would improve this piece.

Jim Burr
10-16-2011, 6:18 PM
I'm gonna go "all" critiquey" on you here. Partly because you asked for suggestions and partly because the form you have there is awesome. The "problem" for me is that it is being visually crushed by the mass of the lid and finial. Your form is very reminiscent of those made by of Steve Schlumpf, an undisputed master of these types of forms. I would suggest looking at some of his recent pieces or at his gallery over at Woodturner's America for ideas on how a much more delicate lid and finial would improve this piece.

Good point...I went this way because the form is so big (for me) and this being the second finial I have attempted, I chose to replicate the form in the lid rather than in the finial. I'm leaning more to a Keith Burns style finial for this form...I have plenty of "finial" stock...well...mabye not that much but certainly enough to have a lash at it! I kind of liked the bulb at the bottom of this one though, but the top is suffering from a lack of know how. The form is very blonde with some good spalt lines and mushy spots. If I ever finish it, there may be some sanding sealer in it's future.
Thanks for all the pointers guys!

Steve bellinger
10-16-2011, 6:50 PM
Jim i also like the form a bunch. Just not real crazy about the finial. I also think if you go to Steves gallery you can steal :Dsome great ideas.He's one of the first people that i really wanted to TRY copying some of his finials. Ether way i know you should have some spalted holly that makes some nice thin finials.keep up the great work man.

Scott Hackler
10-16-2011, 7:00 PM
Jim, you've got a winner there. I agree with David that the finial / lid is a bit overpowering for the form. I really like the shape you came up with for the finial but reducing the diameter of it by 1/3 would totally change the look. Of course the lid might need a little tweak afterwards but you get the idea. I lean towards not copying Keith's finials (which I love) and defining your own. You have a great start already!

For coloring... dark brown lid and burnt orange finial would look great

Allan Ferguson
10-16-2011, 7:12 PM
The form is great, finial stand some help and the comments already posted should help. Most of my finials are not anything to brag about. Have fun with this.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Jim I do like the form and the form of the finial but need to be thinner. Myself I would dye the finial black and leave the vase. Just to pretty as is.