PDA

View Full Version : Milling a Cedar Tree Question?

Tullie Templet
10-16-2011, 3:47 PM
How long can you wait to mill a Cedar tree? I am really not sure what kind of cedar it is but I have a guy at work that says he has two that has been down for right about a year or so. He says he can scratch the bark and they still appear to be moist and they are not stored in direct sun. Will it be difficult to mill them being they have been down that long? I dont know much about milling so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

Dennis Ford
10-16-2011, 8:50 PM
The milling should not be any more difficult but there might be some checking that will affect the lumber.

Jeff Nicol
10-16-2011, 9:07 PM
As an owner of a Wooodmizer bandsaw mill, I have sawn a lot of lumber that have been in a lot of different stages of sitting around and most of the cedars have enough oils in them that they will still be pretty good shape even after a year. There are some bugs that will get in them and bore into the wood, but I have never sawn anything from LA.

Good luck,

Jeff

Danny Hamsley
10-17-2011, 7:20 AM
The wood will be fine. I, too, have sawn dead or down cedar. The heartwood can last for decades in a fallen log, but the sapwood will rot and get bug riddled. Go for it!

Scott T Smith
10-17-2011, 10:15 AM
The wood will be fine. I, too, have sawn dead or down cedar. The heartwood can last for decades in a fallen log, but the sapwood will rot and get bug riddled. Go for it!

+1. I milled a cedar log that had been down for over a year just this past weekend. Your heartwood should be fine.

Tullie Templet
10-17-2011, 8:34 PM
Thanks guys!!! I may go for it then.