PDA

View Full Version : Handled Krenov smoother

Mark Baldwin III
10-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I built this basically as a learning exercise. My purpose was to get an idea for inletting a handle, and to practice handle shaping a bit more. Using a traditional style wedge was just a random thing. Overall, it's not too bad, and takes a decent shaving. It pointed out several skills I need to work on.
I have found that non-handled 2" planes are clunky and I never reached for either of the ones I have. I thought this would be a good way to put one of those irons back into use.

Mike Holbrook
10-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Interesting Mark. I am working on a couple smoothers in Purple Heart right now. I have also been wondering about a more comfortable way to "handle/tote" them. Mine are 7.5 x 1.75" ( a little less after flattening...), 2" irons, 1/4" thick. I have been thinking about using something similar to the back 1/2 of my Steve Knight totes, just the handle without the front section. I have a little under 3" behind the blade area to work with, which I think is enough to make a groove in that I could secure the handle in. Blum Tools uses a straight up handle, smaller than Steve's totes. My idea would be a compromise between the two. Steve's tote is similar to yours except the inside of the handle is convex instead of concave.

Terry Beadle
10-17-2011, 10:24 AM
It looks good !

I think I'd shorten the top of that wedge by 3/8ths to 1/2 inch. Just so you could tap the blade with out worry. I don't think it would affect the clamping force of the wedge.

Enjoy the use of a good plane ! It's the best part of woodworking IMO.

Making it your self is the cream!

Chris Griggs
10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Cool Mark. I like the idea of putting a handle on a Krenov type plane. Looking forward to seeing this one's evolution and future renditions.

geoff wood
10-17-2011, 4:47 PM
sweet plane you got there. i know someone who took a 2 year course with him. he said that jim was always using planes with 'weird horns on them' and carvings.

Mark Baldwin III
10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks, all! I added a strike button to it, and intend to put another coat of wax on. I think I've found my finish of choice with planes now. I let some tung oil soak in, then wiped it off. Next step was to rub in some Behlen's, then a coat of wax. It feels very nice in the hands. I still have some tuning to do, and may shorten the wedge as Terry suggests.
I got some floats a while back and finally gave them some real use while making this plane. It makes the tuning go a lot better. I'm wishing I would have gone with a higher angle though, this is a standard 45. I really like my small 55 degree plane.

Klaus Kretschmar
10-18-2011, 1:40 AM
Great idea and very well executed, Mark. I guess that the handle puts the comfort on a whole new level compared to an unhandeled Krenov plane. Your design might inspire other woodworkers to give the plane making a try. Well done.

Cheers
Klaus

Mark Baldwin III
10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
The proof is in the pudding. I got this thing all fettled up. Pretty good shavings, especially for a 45 degree plane in curly maple. Leaves a darn near perfect surface behind.