PDA

View Full Version : A Good Or Not So Good Fence?

Kevin Presutti
10-16-2011, 8:43 AM
I have been looking for a good affordable fence without dropping $450.00 to $500.00. I was wondering about the Mule Accusquare. Price new $259.00. They are about 90 miles from where I live but the interesting twist on this fence is how it locks as opposed to Beismeyer. Unfortunately they have no exploded view of the locking mechanism but from what I see they use extruded aluminum channel as opposed to an angle whether it be aluminum or steel. I am looking for some feedback on this system good or bad. I have been looking for a good used Beismeyer but most I have seen looked fairly well used or the split the rails from the fence and shipping is horrible. Accufence's new price point is very attractive and shipping is $10.00. Thanks for any input.

http://www.mulecab.com/M1050Rip.html

Mike Heidrick
10-16-2011, 8:58 AM
What is their return policy if you are not happy with it? If it is good give it a shot. Price is right.

Lee Schierer
10-16-2011, 9:01 AM
Just bearing in mind that aluminum is more flexible than steel and will deflect more easily under pressure. A rip fence made of aluminum may deflect significantly when cutting large pieces of sheet goods as you keep the piece against the fence.

Troy Turner
10-16-2011, 9:51 AM
Kevin -

I know you asked about the Accusqare, but I've got a Vega. Put in on an older craftsman saw and man, what a difference. I think it's about the same price range that you're looking at too.

Bill Huber
10-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I like mine a lot, I have had one of about 5 years. I had one on my old Craftsman and then when I got my new Jet contractor saw I replace the fence on it with the Mule.

It is not a lift off fence, you have to take it clear to the end to take it off, that is not a big problem for me, I only have a 24" cut do to the size of my shop. It has a knob and not a lever to lock it, this is ok but it would be nice to have a lever, I think it would be faster and a little easier to use.

I had a little problem with the lock plate turning and it was a little problem to get back on, but I fixed that and now have no problem putting it back on.
Here is the fix.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?59618-Quick-Mule-Accusquare-Fence-mode.&highlight=mule+fence

The good stuff, it moves really easy and the way it is made you can add things to it very easily, it has T slots on the top and sides so you can put things on it when needed. I have a slide on stop, a fence for the dado blade and I also have a shelf I put on it to hold my tape and things like that.
Here is the shelf and stop.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?57453-My-stop-block.......&highlight=mule
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103766-Mule-TS-fence-owners-a-shelf&highlight=mule+fence

Once you get it setup, which with both of mine was noting to do they say put and are true.

I don't know just what the deal is but there is one out there called the Red Line that is just like the Mule but updated a little. It has the pin in it so the lock plate will not turn and is just a little different in some areas but looks just like the mule.
http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=155

All in all I am very happy with the Mule, it has done a very good job for me and I have had no problems with it. For the cost I think it is a good buy.

matt tennessen
10-17-2011, 1:03 AM
I use the mule with 6' rails and generally have no complaints. Like bill mentioned, you've got to run it off the length of rail to remove it, but for me, at almost 60" left of the blade, I rarely need to remove it. I like the t-track on all sides of it, no need to clamp auxiliary fences or stop blocks. I cut a lot of sheet goods on it and it will deflect if you're not careful, but I like in-feed support when I've got 96" of plywood in front of me so it's not an issue. If you think it'll be a problem I've heard good things on the shop fox and Troy just mentioned his vega. Both are steel and probably more rigid and, while more than the mule, a lot less than the bies.

Geoff Barry
10-17-2011, 5:07 PM
YOu can get a Grizzly "Shop Fox Classic Fence", a besiemeyer-type clone, sor around $270 shipped (with 30" rails - about $300 or so with 50" rails). I used to have one, and liked it better than the actual besiemeyer commercial fence I now have.

scott spencer
10-17-2011, 5:44 PM
The Mule is a nice step up from a lot of older stock fences, but I prefer the Vega ( ~$280), the Delta T2 (~ $155), and the Shop Fox Aluma-Classic (~ $225)...more robust, easier to remove, less deflection.

mark kosse
10-17-2011, 9:41 PM
What Scott said. The T-2 is a nice fence for 156.00 shipped tyd. I have one on a single user shop unisaw and like it just fine. If you need American, the Vega. Both just lift off.

Doug Colombo
10-17-2011, 9:43 PM
I also put a Vega on an old Craftsman saw that I had - loved the fence, as does my son in law who has my old saw now. And in some ways, I like it better than the Besiemeyer that came with my Unisaw - it is much easier to remove and the micro adjust has come in handy in the past.

Matt Day
10-18-2011, 8:27 AM
I also suggest the Vega, which I had on a Rockwell contractor's saw. It was a great fence and I loved the micro adjust feature.