PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Forms

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2011, 8:28 AM
Here are some hollow forms that I have just finished. I have four others turned and finished that I need to make lids and finials for. I got started turning them and couldn't stop.

The one on the left is Bradford Pear with Dogwood Finial; the middle one is Ambrosia Maple with a Holly lid and Bloodwood Finial; and the one on the right is Hard Maple with dogwood Finial. The Vase is Camphor. I tried a little pyrography on it.

What ya think?

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Those are nice Bill. I must say I like them all. Isn't it fun when you get on a roll?

John Keeton
10-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Bill, sounds like you are on a roll! You did a great job on all of them, and of this grouping, I think my pick is the middle Ambrosia form. Looks like the lid sits down flush or nearly flush with it, and I like that feature. In addition, the finial is well suited to it.

Did you set your collars in a bed of something? Looks kind of like Inlace, but it is hard to tell. Nice job on the pyro work - is that some dye on there, as well?

Donny Lawson
10-16-2011, 3:43 PM
That's a great job on those Bill. I like them all.

Russell Eaton
10-16-2011, 4:14 PM
Very nice Bill. Have you turned any of the Myrtle burl yet? Hope to see the others when finished.

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2011, 5:08 PM
Did you set your collars in a bed of something? Looks kind of like Inlace, but it is hard to tell. Nice job on the pyro work - is that some dye on there, as well?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that there is stone inlace in each. The one on the left is inlaced with "Fuchsia", the Middle with "Turquoise", and the right with "Silver" although it has some sort of black stone crushed in with it. And no, there is no dye on the vase. I buffed it with a rouge. I am out of tropli, so I used a green rouge that I used back when I was making knives. I don't remember what grit "green" is but it did a good job and left a green tint in the pours of the Campour. I though it was a nice touch, so didn't try and remove it. The rims on the two larger ones is Bubinga.

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2011, 5:16 PM
Very nice Bill. Have you turned any of the Myrtle burl yet? Hope to see the others when finished.

No Russell, I haven't tried to tackle that bugger yet. I have been studying it trying to decide what to do with it.

For everyone who don't remember, Russell had a burl cutting party on the lst of the month. Eight of us showed up with chainsaws in hand to cut this monistor Myrtlewood burl. I think he said that it was 470 lbs. It was full of sand and rocks up to an inch and a half thick. We got it cut into five big pieces at the cost of eight chains. I guess no one posted about it because, out of all eight of us, no one brought a camara. I swear it happened though.

Russell Eaton
10-16-2011, 5:21 PM
No Russell, I haven't tried to tackle that bugger yet. I have been studying it trying to decide what to do with it.

For everyone who don't remember, Russell had a burl cutting party on the lst of the month. Eight of us showed up with chainsaws in hand to cut this monistor Myrtlewood burl. I think he said that it was 470 lbs. It was full of sand and rocks up to an inch and a half thick. We got it cut into five big pieces at the cost of eight chains. I guess no one posted about it because, out of all eight of us, no one brought a camara. I swear it happened though.Bill I think your math was off a little. I know there were a lot more of chains swapped than 8. Robert went through close to that many by himself. He brought 12.

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2011, 6:27 PM
Bill I think your math was off a little. I know there were a lot more of chains swapped than 8. Robert went through close to that many by himself. He brought 12.

I guess you are right, math never was my forte. I went through three myself -- two on the Large Saw and one on the sixteen incher.

Scott Hackler
10-16-2011, 6:46 PM
Nice work Bill. The little one in the middle is my favorite of the bunch. I like the slender, smooth looking finial to top it off.

craig lorence
10-16-2011, 9:27 PM
Very nice HF Bill.