PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum NE

Kathy Marshall
10-16-2011, 1:39 AM
Last weekend I had a visit from fellow Creeker Barry Richardson. We did a little wood exchange, and one of the smaller pieces he brought for me was a med sized round blank of Red Gum. It was a dry blank and completely intact (no cracks).
I decided to go with an NE bowl. Don't know if it's just the nature of this wood, or my technique and tool control, but getting a clean cut was not easy and there was quite a bit of tear out, especially on the outside where the cut was interrupted. I cleaned it up as best I could by shear scraping and then sanded until I thought my hand was gonna fall off.
6 1/2" x 4 1/2" finished with DO and Ren wax. The DO really darkened this up.

This was good practice for the large block of Red Gum and the large round blank of Ironwood that Barry also left (I think I got the better end of this deal :eek: ).
Thanks Barry!

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Michelle Rich
10-16-2011, 5:38 AM
interesting bowl..I'm looking forward to the ironwood

John Keeton
10-16-2011, 7:00 AM
Interesting wood! I am surprised at how dark it turned. Some very neat looking figure in the one side, too! Great work, as always, Kathy.

Doug W Swanson
10-16-2011, 9:33 AM
Excellent job. The natural edge looks great!

Allan Ferguson
10-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Turning dry natural edge bowls is just plain tough to do. Takes a lot of difficult sanding, results are like watching grass grow. Like it. Did you set it on a flat base or round bottom?

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Really nice Kathy. Interesting that the wood turned so dark. I have did a couple of red gum bowls with AO and they didn't darken like this one.