PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Cherry Burl Plate

Baxter Smith
10-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Pulled this plate out of the same box as the last cherry burl I posted.
After a year of procrastinating, I picked up some Transtint dye at the Woodcraft in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago. Had decided I was going to try it on the next figured piece of wood I turned. That didn’t happen! I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. :)
This piece had an even deeper and richer color than the last……. but for better or worse………just do it! Of course my wife had to walk into the shop and ask what I was doing. Her response to my explanation was “Why?” Darn good question. “Just for something different” was the best I could come up with! Didn’t even think about her needing more Christmas decorations. Not that she does!

9.25 x 1.25

At Totally Turning last spring and again at the National Symposium this summer, I hardly remember any pieces being finished with AO but many of them with Bush Oil. Since I was about out of AO I picked some up to give it a try. The directions said a couple saturation coats applied 30 minutes apart were adequate, then just wipe off the excess. The plate looked more festive with the wet/shiny look, so I applied another coat the next day. It didn’t seem to build up the gloss at all. Does anyone know if Bush Oil can be built up to a sheen like AO? Or could I apply AO on top of the Bush Oil if I let it set for a week?

So what are your thoughts on doing this do a nice cherry burl?

Jon McElwain
10-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Baxter, you turn out some good looking bowls and platters. I really like the bead treatment on the bottom - gives it some interest, but not over done. I like the color as well. I tend to like deep rich color in wood and I think you achieved that here. Classic looking piece!

Scott Hackler
10-16-2011, 12:42 AM
I love the deep red color. Great work on this piece Baxter.

David E Keller
10-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Looks great to me! Never used bush oil, but I'm interested to hear the replies.

Kathy Marshall
10-16-2011, 2:04 AM
That's a beauty Baxter! Excellent dye job, I like the rich color. I also like the soft finish as is, maybe just a little Ren wax, but it looks very touchable as it is.

Joe Watson
10-16-2011, 2:07 AM
Looks like a present for Julius Caesar !

Michelle Rich
10-16-2011, 5:32 AM
I think the deep red looks very nice. I've never been a real fan of dye, but I like this as it is deep and bold. (i've never liked the wash coats idea) I think this experiment turned out very well.

John Keeton
10-16-2011, 6:58 AM
Baxter, love the plate, and love the dye!! I think you made the right decision here, and I also think a more subtle finish might be in order for this one. With all the ruggedness of the wood, more of a matte/satin finish seems more fitting.

What color Transtint did you use - Bright Red? There are a couple other reds as I recall.

Bob Rotche
10-16-2011, 7:41 AM
Really like this one, Baxter! Love the deep red and the concept of dyeing such a rustic, figured piece. Great job on the form and bead detail as well

Bob Bergstrom
10-16-2011, 9:10 AM
Love the deep red and black contrast. The trouble with gloss oil would that the inclusions and bark also start to shine. Ren wax would brighten the wood only. I think that or nothing further would be best.

Jim Burr
10-16-2011, 9:18 AM
Wow!!!! Leave it alone!! Form is classic and the finish has an old metal quality to it. If you don't like it I have a spot on the mantle and I'll even make you a pot of clam chowder!! This really does have a Medieval quality...I really love the whole thing! What are the dimentions?

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Baxter that is a beauty. Love the the dye and the rustic look of the wood. I would not worry about the finish. I would leave it as is. It just looks to be held.

charlie knighton
10-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Baxter, simple outstanding, i believe you have another heirloom

Baxter Smith
10-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond. A good friend and I took our daughters fishing. Honest!210390210391210392210393

What color Transtint did you use - Bright Red? There are a couple other reds as I recall.It was the Bright Red. Thought that might be best if I ws going to apply the black first. The other red was more of a maroon.
That's a beauty Baxter! Excellent dye job, I like the rich color. I also like the soft finish as is, maybe just a little Ren wax, but it looks very touchable as it is. Thanks Kathy. Never thought about the Ren wax brightening it up a bit. It was pretty flashy when wet. I hardly ever use a real high gloss finish but it was rather stunning on this.

Wow!!!! Leave it alone!! Form is classic and the finish has an old metal quality to it. If you don't like it I have a spot on the mantle and I'll even make you a pot of clam chowder!! This really does have a Medieval quality...I really love the whole thing! What are the dimentions? Sorry I forgot those Jim. Added them this morning using my cell. My thumbs arent nimble enough to do much more!

Jon Lanier
10-17-2011, 1:46 AM
Looks really great love the form/shape and tinting! I wonder if it will change color over time like most Cherry does, or if the tinting stopped that process?

steven carter
10-17-2011, 2:12 PM
Very nice Baxter. I too wonder about what will happen to the color over time. Perhaps you could report back to us on this in a few months?

Baxter Smith
10-17-2011, 7:46 PM
..... I wonder if it will change color over time like most Cherry does, or if the tinting stopped that process?
Jon, good question. I have no clue!:)

... what will happen to the color over time. Perhaps you could report back to us on this in a few months?
I know little to nothing about dyes but I believe the transtint to be more lightfast than some, but less than others. I would guess that the red would tend to fade to more of a pink and the wood would darken eventually. I don't know if adding those two things together might keep it looking the same longer. I am guessing that as long as the plate was kept out of direct sunlight, you would need to compare pictures to detect any change in just a couple of months. My guesses are just that!:)

Don Orr
10-19-2011, 1:12 PM
Very nice peice Baxter! I like the color a lot. Bush oil is about all I use and it does build but fairly slowly. It buffs out nicely after a full curing. You should be able to put most anything over it.

Tim Rinehart
10-19-2011, 2:29 PM
Fine job Baxter...fine job. I agree with comments about this creating a rich effect. Keep moving outside that comfortable box...and I also like the bead work on this plate...subtle but shows your talent for details.
Well done!

Baxter Smith
10-19-2011, 8:53 PM
....... Bush oil is about all I use and it does build but fairly slowly. It buffs out nicely after a full curing. You should be able to put most anything over it.
Thanks Don. I appreciate hearing from someone who uses it. I use AO a lot and usually go with 5 or more coats to build up a sheen. Since this stuff was more expensive than the AO and I seemed to be wiping off a lot of it, my patience was short!:) It is now in a box in my shop so I guess it is done.

.... Keep moving outside that comfortable box.......
Thanks Tim. With 4 bottles of transtint dye, I guess I will have to.;):)