PDA

View Full Version : AAW Christmas Ornament

Scott Hackler
10-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Here is my entry in the AAW October ornament contest:

This ornament consist of a bulb of quilted maple and with african blackwood topper and pendant. The bulb was hollowed to 1/16", pierced to simulate snowflakes and dyed red. Finished off with 4 coats of lacquer.

Just made, start to finish this afternoon. I almost missed the contest entry, becuase I forgot about the deadline!

Ron Bontz
10-16-2011, 1:03 AM
I really like that one, Scott. What next? LED lighting?:D The lower finial looks like it is ready to drip black ice. Very nice.

Marty Eargle
10-16-2011, 1:15 AM
Very nice. I do think that bottom finial really makes this piece. It doesn't have a steady flow, which normally isn't a great thing, but this almost makes it a separate part of the piece that stands out. Hard to explain...but excellent job!

Joe Watson
10-16-2011, 1:41 AM
Ive been staring at it for 1 to 2 mins, so i guess i like it :)
Never dyed anything before, how long does it take and does the thickness of the wood have anything to do with it ?

Kathy Marshall
10-16-2011, 1:47 AM
Very nice Scott! The icicle looks great, the dye job is very festive and the piercing is just icing on the cake!
Good luck in the contest!

John Keeton
10-16-2011, 7:04 AM
Scott, the proportions on this are near perfect! Very well done - the color combo is so appropriate, along with very clean piercing on the snowflakes. The finial is very similar to a style used by Cindy Drozda, and while I sometimes don't care for that style in an upright situation, here it is the key element - great choice! I wish you the best in the contest!

Greg Just
10-16-2011, 8:38 AM
Very nice Scott. Thanks for sharing. I really like the piercing.

Jim Burr
10-16-2011, 9:12 AM
Beautiful Scott! Lot of thought went in to this one and the thought was well executed

Doug W Swanson
10-16-2011, 9:30 AM
Really well done, Scott!

Nate Davey
10-16-2011, 9:34 AM
Beautiful job on the icicle and globe. Best I've seen on the AAW board yet.

gary Zimmel
10-16-2011, 9:51 AM
Sweet work as usual Scott. Good luck in the contest.

Thom Sturgill
10-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Very nice Scott. You do some of the best I've seen. It should do well in the contest.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Really nice Scott. The piercing is a nice call. Finial is outstanding.

charlie knighton
10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
very nice Scott, good luck in the contest

Jon Nuckles
10-16-2011, 3:54 PM
Nice, Scott, especially for doing it in one afternoon. Hate to think how long it would have taken me to produce anything half as nice!

John W Dixon
10-16-2011, 6:12 PM
Scott that is gorgeous! I love the snowflakes. Hope you do well in the contest.

Scott Hackler
10-16-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed but there is some stiff competition (see Curt Fuller) in the contest. One of the coolest thing about the contest in that they are going to publish not only the winner but ALL of the ornament pictures in the December AAW magazine! That alone was worth making and submitting, IMO. :)

Joe, regarding the dying. I am not an expert on the dying process and have only done a few pieces. But I can tell you that the thickness has nothing to do with applying the dye and sanding it back. It was made that thin to make it light weight and to facilitate the piercing. I just don't like piercing the thicker stuff as much.

Thanks again everyone.

Greg Just
10-16-2011, 8:02 PM
Scott:

Did you color the inside? It looks black.

Scott Hackler
10-16-2011, 8:17 PM
No, its all natural inside. The illusion is from the burnt inside edges caused by my high speed piercing tool. If I would have pieced the whole thing (like I was going to) I would have colored the inside with the same dye. After the bulb worked decent with the dye job, I couldn't bring myself to hiding the curl in this maple!

Joe Watson
10-16-2011, 8:54 PM
Joe, regarding the dying. I am not an expert on the dying process and have only done a few pieces. But I can tell you that the thickness has nothing to do with applying the dye and sanding it back. It was made that thin to make it light weight and to facilitate the piercing. I just don't like piercing the thicker stuff as much. Gotcha, Thanks.

Jamie Donaldson
10-17-2011, 9:54 PM
As I mentioned to Scott, a gold plated fish hook makes a very nice small eye for ornaments, much better than a screw eye, less likely to split the wood, and much less expensive!

Scott Hackler
10-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Didn't win the contest (Curt Fuller came in second though!) but received some great feedback/critique from the judge. I guess ornaments are something I will keep making. Now if I can just get the time to get into the shop.....