PDA

View Full Version : Hearne Hardwoods: Processing a Koa Tree (During LN Hand Tool Event)

Augusto Orosco
10-15-2011, 9:51 PM
Today I was at Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford, PA, attending the LN Hand Tools Event. Besides playing with all the cool tools (and buying their tiny No. 8 jointer :D!) the guys at Hearne gave us a demonstration on how they process a tree with their ginormous saw. I filmed the whole thing, but edited quite a bit of it (from 20 to 5 min). For most people this can be as boring as seeing paint dry, but I am sure many of you will find it quite fascinating. You can watch the video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPCa9UIm3I) and I have attached some pictures below.

It was a great event and I had a blast. I met a few people also from the Philly area and we have a nice time talking tools and technique with the LN staff. Seeing their tools online is a feast for the eyes, but being able to feel and use their them is quite an experience. Absolutely everything they make is top notch!

Tim Janssen
10-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Fascinating, for me anyway!

alex grams
10-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Very cool pictures and video. Koa is one of my all-time favorite woods to use.

Anyone else enjoy the irony of the Amish fellow (I presume) fellow using a very large machine?

mike holden
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
"Anyone else enjoy the irony of the Amish fellow (I presume) fellow using a very large machine? "

What Irony? The Amish are not allowed to use powertools for their own use, to make a living yes. There was/is a welding shop in Wooster, Ohio that employed Amish welders. Did startle me the first time I went there. They were subcontracted to Gerstenslager which makes parts for Chrysler - which is how I came across them, I had to approve the quality of their work.

Roger Benton
10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Very cool pictures and video. Koa is one of my all-time favorite woods to use.

Anyone else enjoy the irony of the Amish fellow (I presume) fellow using a very large machine?

That Amish fellow's name is John, an incredibly capable guy. His Grandfather, Pappy John, timber framed the main Hearne office building in figured cherry and white oak with ebony pegs. The other Amish fellow at Hearne's name is Steve, and Steve not only operates and maintains the mill on the site but designed, engineered and fabricated the current mill structure including the fully hydraulic sled, dogs, and the laser guided tracking system. I don't know what they're teaching in those little one room Amish school houses but these guys are just enormously skilled in a vast variety of trades. Steve also engineered and built a horizontal chainsaw mill that runs hydraulically off a huge caterpillar loader; it's capable of milling slabs 9'+wide!!!

Anyway, great video Augusto, and congrats on that little No 8!!
I was there as well and it sure was cool to see that mill in action.

Eric DeSilva
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Fantastic place. The times I've been up there, the big saw hasn't been running. Always wanted to see that... from a little distance!