PDA

View Full Version : Movable section inside small box

Carl Correll
10-15-2011, 1:57 PM
I'm building small box to store and transport a laptop. I would like to put some sort of metal channel/track/rail/etc. in the bottom of the box with spring loaded/pressure released movable stops/tabs or whatever, that can be slide up against the sides on the laptop to hold it in place. I have one built now with small wooden pieces glued at specific locations to secure laptop from moving. There's room on both sides of the laptop, in box, to store the mouse and power cords. If I want to put a different laptop in though, the wooden pieces will be at the wrong places, that's where adjustable sliding stops/tabs etc. would be just the right thing. I've not been able to find anything, the railing, track system that can be used to meet this need. What I think I will do if I can find the right thing is route out a slot in the bottom to inlay the rail/track. Any ideas and or suggestions will be helpful. Carl

johnny means
10-15-2011, 2:10 PM
Have you thought about using some sort of foam. You could simply replace it for any future needs. IMO a soft suspension is much better protection than a ridgid one

Carl Correll
10-15-2011, 2:38 PM
I hear your point, although the way I have it set up is with a break away hinge on the lid and when I get in a Wi-Fi spot, cafe, room etc. I just remove lid, set bottom on lid, open laptop and away we go. No muss or fuss. When I'm done I just close laptop, put lid back on box and go. Lid has soft pressure points that hold against top of laptop. Very effective for both protection and quick use when needed.