PDA

View Full Version : panel saws for smaller hands

Roberta Shew
10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Can someone recommend a (rip) panel saw model that would fit a smaller person/ smaller hands better? I've found many hand saw handles to be too large for good control and comfort for my size 7 1/2 (Women's M) hand. I'm also only 5 ft 3 in/ 125 lbs so getting something that balances well for me is an important consideration, too.

At this point in the calendar, with a stack of gifts to make, I don't really want to get into making a custom handle, I just want to get closer so I can dimension all the stock I need without getting really frustrated or wasting energy. I know that ultimately I'll probably make a custom handle, perhaps when I get around to rehabilitating the cross-cut panel saw I bought at a tag sale.

Niels Cosman
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
hi roberta,
i have smaller hands (my mothers hands) and i am generally of smaller stature (5'8" and change).
i've found that older saws tend to have smaller handle also the shorter saw fit my hands better. if hold out your arm in front you and measure from your chest to the finger joint past the knuckle on your pointer finger that is the length of your stroke and the length of saw plate that is ideal for you in a handsaw (unless you are working with crazy thick material). I bet if you found a 20-24" disston no.7 made before 1917 it would fit you well. they are also pretty common to find.

Tony Shea
10-15-2011, 12:04 PM
I suppose it depends on what your looking at spending. Are u planning on buying something brand new? Lie Nielsen's panel saws may be worth looking at. Not sure how their handle sizes compare as I've never used one myself. All my saws are rehabbed Disstons or Simonds. Actually my Simonds No. 5 straight back blue ribbon saw is my absolute favorite, the biggest reason being that the handle size is fairly small and well shaped.

There are other makers of new panel saws out there but really depends on what you're looking to spend. These saws can get pricey!

Jonathan McCullough
10-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I think an older Disston D-8, or similar, makes for a very nice panel saw, and the older ones have a smaller handle. Look for one with four nuts. But rip saws are seldom less than 26 inches, so you'd most likely have to punch/file the rip teeth in. Lie Nielsen makes a rip panel saw with a nice Disston No. 7 - type handle that might be comfortable. I think it's 20" -24" can't remember, at about $200.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-15-2011, 1:28 PM
My wife, who's about the same height and hand size has been using my small rip panel saw on the sawhorses without complaint - the handle is from an old Disston No. 7. The blade is cut down from some other saw that came from the same toolbox I bought at a yard sale. Although I think she's been using that one because it was the closest. If I had a better collection, I'd ask her to try a few different handles for you.
Have you tried emailing Megan Fitzpatrick at Popular Woodworking? I know she's commented on the PW blog about the size of some saw handles being uncomfortable for her smaller hands. (I think she was reviewing some Bad Axe dovetail saws with smaller sized handles at the time?) Megan may have some insight if you're looking for a "new" saw, I imagine she's tried a lot of them.

Bill Moser
10-15-2011, 3:30 PM
Roberta -
Have you considered Japanese saws? A ryoba with impulse-hardened teeth cuts super fast in hardwood (it's both rip and crosscut) without a lot of pressure, and they're pretty inexpensive. I don't think hand size is a problem with these saws, but it's simple to custom-fit a handle if you need to.

Andrae Covington
10-15-2011, 3:36 PM
Can someone recommend a (rip) panel saw model that would fit a smaller person/ smaller hands better? I've found many hand saw handles to be too large for good control and comfort for my size 7 1/2 (Women's M) hand. I'm also only 5 ft 3 in/ 125 lbs so getting something that balances well for me is an important consideration, too.

At this point in the calendar, with a stack of gifts to make, I don't really want to get into making a custom handle, I just want to get closer so I can dimension all the stock I need without getting really frustrated or wasting energy. I know that ultimately I'll probably make a custom handle, perhaps when I get around to rehabilitating the cross-cut panel saw I bought at a tag sale.

I'm about the same size as you, though my hands are a little bit bigger. I fully understand the problem.

I agree with Niels that a Disston No. 7 in a panel saw length is probably your best bet, unless you want to spend the money / wait to have Medallion Toolworks (http://www.medalliontools.com/About-Our-Saws-and-Ordering.html) build you a new rip saw with a handle custom fit to your hand. Unfortunately, finding an old saw ready for what you need is a challenge.

There are two main problems with finding a rip saw for small hands and short arms and legs. The handles on the bigger "regular-size" saws are too big. But those saws are also too long. If you use sawbenches scaled to fit your knee height, those saws will hit the floor. Even if you saw at the workbench, your arm stroke will never use all of those longer saws.

So us wee folk are left with using panel saws. The problem there is that coarse-toothed, rip-filed panel saws are hard to find. Of course a crosscut saw can be refiled to rip, given the time and knowledge, but we are still left with relatively fine-toothed saws, which are comparatively slow for ripping.

I have four panel saws that I have purchased on ebay over time. Two of them, amazingly, are fairly coarse and were already filed rip.

In the photos below, from top to bottom:

Disston D-8 22" 9ppi crosscut
Disston #7 22" 7ppi rip - this handle may be someone's copy of the original, as it seems a little "off" to me, and is kinda chunky
Warranted Superior 22" 6ppi rip - very unusual to find a panel saw this coarse
Disston #7 20" 10ppi crosscut - although the other handles fit my hand ok, this smaller handle is really nice, and the saw is balanced well.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
10-15-2011, 4:50 PM
I recently picked up a disston d8 and found the handle to be a great fit (almost too tight) for my hand. I am 5'5 but my wife is 5'3 and the saw fits her very well.

Paul Saffold
10-15-2011, 5:23 PM
Roberta,
Welcome to the creek. There is a wealth of information and experience here and the members/contributors are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience as you are finding out. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Many of are still learning and learn from others q's as well as our own.

Tristan Williams
10-15-2011, 5:56 PM
It is surprisingly quick to make a saw handle. I started my first custom handle for a big 29" thumbhole ripsaw today, I went for quite an elaborate design with lamb's tongue and lots of other embellishments. I've spent about 5 hours on it so far, and all thats left to do is sand and finish. It would have taken maybe half that if I had picked a more basic shape.and omitted the thumbhole.

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-15-2011, 8:37 PM
Hi Roberta,
As Joshua mentioned, I've encountered the same problem -- and Mark Harrell is now making small (and extra small) handles for the Bad Axe DT saw, and he said he'll soon start making them for his tenon saws. But he also rehabs old saws - you might try getting in touch with him and letting him know what you're looking for, and send him a photocopy of your hand. I'm willing to bet he'll be able to find and sharpen to perfection an ideal saw for you.

Eric Brown
10-16-2011, 4:03 AM
Here is a link showing the custom saws I had made by Medallion Tools.
To this day it has been a good choice for me.
I have small hands too.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131001-Saw-Gloat&highlight=

A little more expensive but worth it.

Good Luck.

Eric

Mark Baldwin III
10-16-2011, 8:10 AM
The shorter D100' have a nice small handle, as does the Stanley SW panel saw. I get the feeling that those are somewhat scarce though, as I've looked around for more and haven't seen any. The only other SW besides mine that I've seen sold on the bay back in June for something like $80.

Mike Holbrook
10-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Have you thought about a Bowsaw? As I recall Tage Frid was a short dude too and he loved them. I am waiting on a kit that Glenn at Wood Joy tools is putting together for me. You can get Japanese style blades either combo ripping & cross cutting or thinner blades for cutting curves. Switching blades in the one saw gives you a much more versatile saw. I think you get a more for less money with the Bowsaw. You do not have to worry about handle size and since you can clamp work in a table and cut standing up you can put all 125lbs behind the saw.

Klaus Kretschmar
10-16-2011, 2:15 PM
Hi Roberta,

I don't think that you will succeed to get a panel saw matching to your hand. The simple reason is that all saw makers had to find a size that would fit to most of the hand sizes. Since a large hand isn't able to saw comfortably with a small handle but a small hand is able to cut with a large handeled saw, nearly all makers of vintage saws went the save way to make the handles pretty large.

A custom made handle will fit perfectly. It's made according to your hand size.

Klaus

Jim Matthews
10-16-2011, 5:35 PM
I have a D-16 with a handle that required paring to fit my hand.

It's a panel saw, and it may have been sized accordingly.
I think the idea of buying something off the shelf, and retrofitting to your grip makes the most sense.

I use a bowsaw for long rips, along the edge of boards, but for anything more than 8" from the edge my handsaws make for quick work.

It may be useful to ask Atcharaya, one of our regulars in the classified section, if there's any stock on the big island...

FYI - The Medallion stuff is beautiful, but all of my saws put together cost less than one of those panel saws.

Roberta Shew
10-19-2011, 5:49 PM
Thanks, Tristan. I agree, it doesn't take long to make a saw handle, but it does help to have something close to start with as a template. Then there's the issue of the length and balance of the saw...that's not so easy to customize so I think I'd be better off finding something reasonable for me, at least at this point in my development.

Roberta Shew
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank you all for your good suggestions -- I'm impressed by the support and enthusiasm.

Following Megan's idea to check with Mark Harrell at Bad Axe, I might have found something. After sending Mark measurements of my hand span and arm length, plus a list of woods I often use, he suggested the 22 in. Disston D7 5 1/2 ppi rip saw with original handle he had in stock (but not listed on the web site). While not as inexpensive as a tag sale find, I know it'll be at least close to what I need and in great condition, ready to go, when it arrives Saturday or Monday.

Mark says he wants to expand saw options for women and youth so I'm keeping him and Bad Axe on my list for my next saw search. If nothing else, he clearly knows a lot, is a good place to start, and responds quickly to inquiries.