PDA

View Full Version : Big news for Double D!!!!

John Keeton
10-15-2011, 10:10 AM
From unnamed sources, I am informed that our very own, David DeCristoforo, better known to us as "Double D", or just DD, has been accepted into the world renown del Mano (http://www.delmano.com/) gallery in Los Angeles!!! His work will be on display there (and, of course, for sale!), and were that not news enough, some of his pieces will be going to SOFA in Chicago!!

Upon learning of this, I contacted David and encouraged him to post it, but being much more humble than I, he declined. If this were to ever happen for me (not in this lifetime!), I would be shouting to the world.

This is HUGE!! del Mano ain't your "run of the mill" gallery. Just take a look at the list of represented artists! I should add here, that you will also find our very own John Beaver, as well!

And, I just want to remind everyone of my predictions regarding David's work;) - I knew he would become a recognized turner very quickly. Few folks have that unique combination of design concepts, artistic imagination, and technical skills. When they all come together in one individual, it is truly a blessing.

CONGRATS, David!! I am excited for you! :)

Pete Jordan
10-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Nothing better than that!!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Congrats DD.

wes murphy
10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Congraulations, DD. Your work truly deserves recognition. Job well done!

Rich Aldrich
10-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Congrats DD.

mike ash
10-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Way to go David. Looks like del Mano also thought some of your turnings were amazing!! Not bad for a Cal Aggie.

Baxter Smith
10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Congrats David! That place looks impressive....and your work will fit right in!

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
David - I am not at all surprised! Congrats! Very happy to see you getting the recognition you deserve! Hope to see some promo photos of you and your work while at the gallery!

Matt Hutchinson
10-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Congrats David, that's awesome!!

-Hutch

Nate Davey
10-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Congratulations David, truly a deserved honor. Next thing you know, you'll be demonstrating at the AAW Symposium.

Wally Dickerman
10-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Way to go David...

John, do you think that David's going to speak to the plain folks, or will he just tell us to "eat cake"

Marty Eargle
10-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Well deserved! Congratulation, Mr. D.

Dick Wilson
10-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Keep on turning DD great job congrats

charlie knighton
10-15-2011, 1:22 PM
congratulations, David, great accompishment

Jon Nuckles
10-15-2011, 1:39 PM
A huge congratulations for a well-deserved honor. My wife and I never miss SOFA and I will definitely look for your pieces!

Scott Hackler
10-15-2011, 2:04 PM
Congrats David. Your work will definitely fit in with great artist.

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2011, 2:12 PM
Hey… I really appreciate all the complements. But let's not get carried away here! I am beyond pleased to have some pieces in del Mano. It is, after all the "go to" gallery for "turned objects". And they do seem to like the "amphora" pieces which they refer to as "the goblets". But this is not like a "big show" or anything. They are going to display five pieces and we will see how they do.

The Natsoulas Gallery here in Davis is taking a few pieces with them to SOFA and that is very exciting. They have scheduled a showing of my stuff in the gallery but their show schedule is pretty booked so this will not be until spring.

I would like to point out that I am not and never have been a "California Aggie"! I never attended UCD. My son, on the other hand is a true "Aggie" having earned his MFA there. What the heck kind of mascot is an "Aggie" anyway??? For that matter what the heck is an "Aggie" to begin with? Furthermore, I always have and always will love eating cake...

Allan Ferguson
10-15-2011, 3:37 PM
He is definitely doing outstanding work. I am always amazed when seeing his turnings.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-15-2011, 3:53 PM
I am very happy to see one of our fellow writers be given such an honor. Congratulations David. I hope your pieces blow out the door and they call begging for more.
faust

Tim Rinehart
10-15-2011, 3:53 PM
Congratulations David! Very stoked but not surprised you would have pieces there soon. I suspect your amphoras will be quite popular...I mean...Who wouldn't want one or three??...and three looks great for these from different woods.

Well done... be sure to still try and share with us and post with us now and again!;)

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2011, 4:26 PM
"... try and...post with us now and again..."

This is not going to my head.

Curt Fuller
10-15-2011, 4:33 PM
First, a huge congratulations for something most of us can only dream of.

And second, let it go to your head. What's the sense of achieving something that great if you can't bask in it for a while?

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2011, 4:49 PM
"What's the sense of achieving something...if you can't bask in it..."

Well you might have a point there, Curt. But I just spent most of today rebuilding a 30 quart commercial dough mixer. I've got bunged up fingers, broken nails, tiny cuts galore and grease up to my... well never mind... suffice it to say that every pore in my skin is packed with it! So what I am going to bask in right now is a hot shower!

Greg Just
10-15-2011, 5:07 PM
Nice job David. Your work is an inspiration to all. Sounds like JK wants to be your agent or at least publicist! :D

Bob Bergstrom
10-15-2011, 5:27 PM
Great to hear creekers have invaded SOFA. For those wondering SOFA stands for Sculptural Objects and Functional Art. I've been there the last two years (as a visitor only). It takes over two hours just to walk through it. There are galleries from all over the world displaying glass, metal, clay, wood, and a host of other materials. It is well worth the time and effort if you are in the Chicago area. The AAW puts on demos every other year. Best part is you can just walk up and talk to many of the artists. The way the economy is going a lot of them have plenty of time to talk. Most welcome the time and admiration of the patrons. Looking forward to seeing David and John's work. I know it will be even more spectacular in person.

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2011, 5:40 PM
"...Sounds like JK wants to be your agent or at least publicist..."

Well now... what can I say about John Keeton? Having never met the man, I know him only from our exchanges here on SMC and a handful emails back and forth. I do know that he is a lawyer, and a "southern lawyer" at that, and most would count that as a strike against him. In fact, being a "southern lawyer" might count with some as two strikes. I also know that he has a white beard and pony tail and bears a striking resemblance to Kenny Rogers which, depending on one's preferences, could be either a plus or a minus. I also know that he is a man of faith though not one who makes an issue out of that one way or the other.

So then... I have to extrapolate from there and this is what I believe about John Keeton. He is a true "self actualizer". You can "google" that if you want to but the most significant characteristic of a self actualizer is the ability to take joy in the success of others. To me this is a true virtue although not an "official" one according to scripture. John has been one of the most supportive voices, both here on SMC and privately "off forum", not only for myself but for any and every person who has stumbled into his sphere with an interest in the art of making turned objects. He is almost always the first to offer encouragement, advice and always polite and constructive criticism.

As far as I can see, he has absolutely nothing to gain from my successes other than the pleasure of seeing another individual experience some good fortune. I would love to meet John Keeton in person one of these days.

Ed Morgano
10-15-2011, 6:23 PM
David,
Congratulations! You are truly gifted and it's nice to see you get the recognition you deserve. As to John Keeton, I agree with everything you said about John. He is truly an outstanding individual and a BIG asset to this forum.

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2011, 6:24 PM
David - I had to smile when reading your description of John! In just a few words you have managed to capture the essence of the man I consider as one of my closest friends. I have to agree with you on John being a true self actualizer as he is always thrilled when someone received recognition for their efforts! I have watched John grow in a relatively short amount of time to not only become an accomplished turner but an adviser and mentor to many. I have to admit, it is fun to follow the growth of individuals here on the Creek! Honestly, it's like being a member of a large turning family and you always rejoice when one of the family is recognized for their art!

In that same voice, you are to be commended for accomplishing what many of us hope to do... getting recognized for our work. I do hope the gallery leads to bigger and better things and that your turnings sell for prices high enough to raise eyebrows!! Seriously - I wish you the very best success and hope that this is just another step closer to the Standard Rich & Famous Contract that we all strive for!

Brian Kent
10-15-2011, 6:46 PM
David, I am so happy for you. You do great work and I am glad to see you get the kudos!

phil harold
10-15-2011, 6:50 PM
Congratulations DD!

John Keeton
10-15-2011, 6:57 PM
First of all, this isn't my party! I appreciate David's comments and I have relished the unbelievable success he has enjoyed. When David came to the round side, I knew we were in for a treat, and watching all of this develop for him as been very satisfying for me - kind of an affirmation of my first thoughts about his skill and talent.

And, Steve knows I feel the same about him as he has expressed for me. The days spent with him at AAW sealed a lifetime of friendship between two of kindred spirit.

But, now for the rest of the news!! David received cover honors today on WoW for his most recent piece - Alistair!!!! David, congrats again - your week has certainly been full - notwithstanding the issues with the mixer!!

David E Keller
10-15-2011, 8:47 PM
Congrats on a terrific accomplishment with the gallery, David! If it's woodturning fame and fortune you're after, I think you're well on your way... If it's not, you may well end up there anyway. Best of luck at the show as well!

Tom Hamilton
10-15-2011, 8:50 PM
David, congrats on your your recent recognition. I've enjoyed studying your work and have photos of your pieces posted over my lathe as inspiration.
Also, your ability to assess people exceeds your ability to turn wood. A nice combination in this life.

All the best, Tom

Kathy Marshall
10-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Congrats DD on all fronts (del Mano, SOFA and the WOW cover)! Well deserved recognition!

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
So... it seems this was my day to have a fat head. All the gallery stuff, a WoW cover, our mixer is fixed and the world did not end this week. Thanx so much to all of you for the kind words and support.

Jeff Fagen
10-15-2011, 11:54 PM
David ,thanks for letting us little people take a ride on your coat tails into the world of fine art.....oh and please try not to let all this go to your head.:)

Michelle Rich
10-16-2011, 5:41 AM
WOW!!!!!! ain't that grand!!! Congrats

Josh Bowman
10-16-2011, 8:30 AM
Congratulations David!! I think your work will fit right in. Actually I think to my eye, it's better than much of it. Can I have you autograph?:D

For us plain old commoner's that eat our salad, entree and desert with the same fork, here's a link to SOFA (The International Exposition of Sculpture Objects & Functional Art)

http://www.sofaexpo.com/pages/photos.htm

(http://www.sofaexpo.com/pages/photos.htm)Very cool stuff, and some great ideas.

Russell Eaton
10-16-2011, 8:44 AM
A VERY well deserved CONGRATS!!! As a newer member of this community I have seen a lot of your work and it is incredible. No real surprise that it happened, just why it took them SO LONG. Great job.

philip labre
10-16-2011, 8:53 AM
Congrats DD!!! All well deserved!

Roger Chandler
10-16-2011, 5:04 PM
Congrats DD! Sorry I am a bit late to the party here........travel has me away from my regular routine.................Very nice honor, and you show commendable humility, which in itself is commendable..............I think your read on JK is pretty stout.............you truly do beautiful work!

Roland Martin
10-17-2011, 9:29 PM
It's been way too long since I've posted, I seem to do that during the summer months. My sincerest congrats, David, weeks like you've had is what life is all about. Your work is such an inspiration to me and obviously an army creekers alike. I wish you the absolute best on this ride of a lifetime!

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Just another big thanx for all the kind words and support. I'm meeting with the people at Natsoulas on Friday to try and finalize the SOFA thing. I'm hoping they will be able to take several pieces but space and time may be an issue. Hopefully this will "pan out"...

Thanx again
DD

Steve Busey
10-18-2011, 3:39 PM
Congratulations David! I keep hanging around here just to absorb some of the skills and creativity of folks like you!

Prashun Patel
10-18-2011, 3:53 PM
Congratulations. Well deserved. Thanks for inspiring.

Rick Markham
10-19-2011, 4:02 AM
Congrats DD! Well deserved, and well earned! I'm with JK, the neighbors would think (they probably already do) I'm nuts... I'd be hootin and hollerin up and down the block!