PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Brace

Jake Helmboldt
10-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I stumbled upon a Craftsman brace last week for $10 and I'm trying to find out more about the model, who made it, whether it is generally a good brace, etc.

It is in what I'd call good condition with some modest rust. It has nice cocobolo handles and the jaws work well and are in good shape. Is there a site anywhere that I can find more info on old Craftsman braces?

On the rust note; were these chromed, or simply polished steel? Is there an easy way to clean up the rust without disassembling the whole thing?

thanks, Jake

Jim Koepke
10-15-2011, 2:12 PM
Jake,

Craftsman braces were made by a few different companies.

A picture of some of the details would go a long way in determining who and possibly when your brace was made.

Also if there is a number on the brace it may also indicate the maker. There are a few reference lists of makers by Craftsman item number.

If the handles are rose wood or cocobolo, Stanley was well known for that before WW II. Millers Falls also used cocobolo on some of their braces.

There are a few places for information. It would likely just be confusing and not lead to the right path as well as a few images of your brace to establish a good starting point.

jtk

Erik Manchester
10-15-2011, 3:34 PM
Jake,

Lots of those braces were nickle plated. I have a number of Millers Falls braces that were made for Craftsman with the bal bearing Lion chucks and cocobolo wood. They are excellent braces.

Bill Moser
10-15-2011, 5:13 PM
The first brace I bought was a craftsman. 10" sweep, paid $12 at a local antiques dealer. I had no idea that other manufacturers made them under the craftsman logo! But that brace is great, works well, head is tight, ratchet isn't fussy, etc. I've acquired way too many braces since that first craftsman, but I'll always hang onto it.

Jake Helmboldt
10-15-2011, 6:58 PM
Thanks, I'll post a couple pics when I have a moment. It looked like it was nickel plating and not simply rust. I don't see any numbers, but the area with the Craftsman name is also where some of the rust/flaking is.

Greg Wease
10-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Jake, I have a Craftsman brace that has no numbers like yours. However, it is a spitting image of a Stanley 921. Looking forward to your pics.