PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat and first handle

Bob Rotche
10-15-2011, 9:09 AM
Many of you may be aware that AAW has a monthly prize drawing with all members entered. Believe it or not, I won in August and the prize was $100 credit to Thompson Tools! Since my new years resolution for 2012 is going to be to no longer live in fear of my skew, that is what I chose. It is 1" width with rolled bottom. Came unhandled so I made one from a piece of leopard wood I picked up at our club auction last year. Overall it is about 6" blade with 12" handle, ferule made from piece of copper pipe.

John Keeton
10-15-2011, 9:29 AM
Well, congrats on all counts! The WIN, the skew (they are nice looking!), and the handle. I guess that John C. Campbell thing is still paying dividends!

Greg Just
10-15-2011, 9:42 AM
Congrats! Great tool and nice looking handle. I would recommend watching Alan Lacers videos on the skew. I was lucky enough to take a class a few years ago with Alan and I no longer have a fear of the skew. I still screw up with it, but I'm a lot better with it and use it all the time.

George Morris
10-15-2011, 9:43 AM
Many of you may be aware that AAW has a monthly prize drawing with all members entered. Believe it or not, I won in August and the prize was $100 credit to Thompson Tools! Since my new years resolution for 2012 is going to be to no longer live in fear of my skew, that is what I chose. It is 1" width with rolled bottom. Came unhandled so I made one from a piece of leopard wood I picked up at our club auction last year. Overall it is about 6" blade with 12" handle, ferule made from piece of copper pipe.210151Congrats looks great! Enjoy!

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Ah... the dreaded skew! I have just started to overcome my fear of it. I have been using a skew a lot over the past year and I find myself "skewing up" less and less. The nice thing about it is that, because it has flat cutting edges, it can easily be honed razor sharp and will leave an almost polished surface. Either that or a huge "skroach" that has to be removed! That is a very handsome handle you made for it!

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Congrats on a nice tool and the handle looks great. I agree with Greg on the Lacer DVD on skews.

Baxter Smith
10-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Great win, great tool, great handle. Hope you have a great time using it too!;):)