PDA

View Full Version : Utilising lasers in picture framing

Allan Kinnear
10-15-2011, 3:06 AM
Hi Folks,

First of all, a huge thanks for a fantastic forum; I run a small picture framing business at the foot of Ben Nevis in the Scottish Highlands and have recently invested in a Rayjet laser system in order to expand into the tourist market. I have also happily discovered that it allows me to be creative with picture mounts particularly framed objects, that previously would have been impossible to create using standard framing equipment. I just wish to ask if any forum members run framing shops or support there local framers in this fashion?

I've attached a jpeg of a set of piping medals that I recently completed.

Many thanks for your time, I look forward to getting more involved in the forum in due course.

Joe Hillmann
10-15-2011, 11:55 AM
I have thought of going to a local picture framer to see if they have any use for laser services. Other than cutting the matting and maybe engraving tags, what uses do you see for the laser?

Allan Kinnear
10-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Joe,

I have used the laser to lightly engrave/mark text & corner designs direct to the window mount; this can look much better than placing an additional window with an engraved metallic plate. We have also engraved directly to the reverse side of the glass, which again adds a certain quality to the finished framed item. Not immediately obvious from the original image posted, is that each medal was scanned and the profiles cut into the top-mount, and then inset; much better than sticking them on to the face of the board. The more you use the laser in framing projects, the more ideas come to mind, especially for framed objects.

Joe Hillmann
10-15-2011, 1:24 PM
Hi Joe,

I have used the laser to lightly engrave/mark text & corner designs direct to the window mount;

What is a window mount, and do you have any pictures to show what it looks like?

Allan Kinnear
10-15-2011, 1:31 PM
The window mount is the mat-board the creates the border around the framed item, and creates some space between the item and the picture frame; it also prevents the glazing from directly contacting the item being framed. The attached example shows paw prints lightly engraved onto the window mount.210177

Martin Boekers
10-15-2011, 8:08 PM
You can cut mats and etch into them, but most frame shops that have a "Wizard" or such it is quite easy
to deboss and cut the mats.

What you can offer is making plates or engraving onto the glass. We have a frame shop in our Center
an I sell quite a few plates that I engrave for them. I do about 5 - 10 engraved glass panes for framed images
or shadow boxes a month.

I also do a lot of cutouts in acrylic to hold coins in place similar to your sample. You may add acrylic letters
to you offerings. I do about $1000 in sales a month just on those. You can do limited vinyl cutting (typically
not good for laser or health) but in short quick runs shouldn't present issues. They have a vinyl that simulates
etched glass looks really nice. This could be used as accents on mirrors or decorations on corners.

Belinda Barfield
10-16-2011, 8:17 AM
Welcome Allan. Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep this idea in mind.