PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion onn small 4 or 6 inch jointer

Jack Gaskins
10-14-2011, 9:03 PM
Im looking for a small jointer. I have found a few around my area. Most are the old craftsmans and a few are the old Rockwells. Think they were 4 inch. I only need it to joint small boards. I dont make big stuff on flat work and do mostly woodturning. And space is limited. Any problems with a jointer from the 1940 through the 1960s? I know they have that bench top delta jointer but I havent read anything good about it. I like the looks of the old iron tools anyway.

Thanks
Jack

Stephen Cherry
10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
searchtempest to search craigslist. Auctionzip and bidspotter for auctions, even fleabay. search joiner as well as jointer. The best deals I have gotten were on machines that were not well marketed. For example, I bought a hollow chisel mortiser similar to the one griz sells for 2500 dollars for 405. I think the reason is because it was advertised as "mortise and tenon", rather than mortiser.

The big thing is to look every day, or preferably twice a day or more, and the machine you want will pop up when you least expect it. Keep your truck filled with gas, and the main thing is the deal is not done until the machine is sitting in the back of your pickup, (or minivan, or whatever). Condition first, price second. At this point, I will only bite at a super deal, and for whatever you want, super deals will pop up. Also, auctions are big fun, and the prices can be low, or high, depending on who shows up.

Also, for my money, I like the delta dj-15. It's a parallelogram machine, so it could be adjusted if needed, plus they were made in numbers

Rich Engelhardt
10-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I know they have that bench top delta jointer but I havent read anything good about it
Your best course of action w/anything that says Delta and Shopmater on the tool is to run away,,,run away as fast as you can.
I have a 9" Delta Shopmaster bandsaw and an 8.5" Shopmaster CMS.
You definatly get less than you paid for with that line.

Bill White
10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
The 4" Shopsmith I have is a tank. I use it on a powerstand that will interchange with the band saw. It is about 40 years old a works like a charm. Little but good.
Bill

Tom Rausenberg
10-15-2011, 3:20 PM
Any problems with a jointer from the 1940 through the 1960s?
Thanks
Jack

Absolutely not. My Walker Turner jointer is from the early 50s, and it is top notch. An old Delta or Rockwell or even the Craftsman would be much superior to a new benchtop machine, in my opinion. You may have to do some cleanup, adjustment, and possible repairs to bring it into tune, but you will more than likely end up with a quality machine. And you're right, old tools look better, too!

Craig Regan
10-15-2011, 3:38 PM
Older 4" and 6" Deltas come up a lot on c'list for $150 or so. A great machine. Solid and easy to adjust.

You can not go wrong with one of these.