PDA

View Full Version : New Airstream Helmet

Paul Heely
10-14-2011, 5:22 PM
After wanting one for quite a while I finally bit the bullet and bought an Airstream helmet. Turned for a couple of hours this afternoon and it was great. I've always used a dust collector when sanding, but was still annoyed by dust from dry wood and some spalted stuff when turning it. Wearing a dust mask along with my face shield was always a pain. Took a little bit to get it balanced on my head right, but by the end of the session I forgot I even had it on.

I bought from Airware America and can't say enough about the service I've gotten from them. When the helmet arrived the face shield surround had a manufacturing defect in it. Not only is Airware sending me a new surround, but they put a new lens and seal on it so that I don't have to mess with anything when it arrives. On top of that they told me to keep my old lens and seal so that I'll have a spare. Their service is second to none in my opinion.

Oh yes, the required photo to prove that all this happened and that I did not just dream about it :)

Josh Bowman
10-14-2011, 6:04 PM
Congrats, your going to love it.

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2011, 9:41 PM
Congrats. You are going to enjoy it. I love mine after a recommendation from the grain elevator here in town. I worked in one as a kid back home and can't tell ya how much dust we breathed in. So I went down to see what they were using.

Steve Schlumpf
10-14-2011, 9:50 PM
Congrats Paul - you are going to love using it! I've had mine for a while now and it is the first thing I grab for when entering the shop!

Baxter Smith
10-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Enjoy Paul. I was lucky enough to find one on Ebay. It is comfortable while using but I find the fan annoying when the lathe is turned off. Turn off the fan and the faceshield steams up. You can raise the visor but then the balance/comfort isn't there. I end up taking it on and off a lot.