PDA

View Full Version : Burl Scraps from Up North Burls

Paul Heely
10-14-2011, 5:08 PM
About a week ago I was looking for some burl scraps to make Christmas ornaments. I got in touch with Cory from Up North Burls and he said he had some "scraps" he would sell cheap. These have got to be some of the nicest scraps I have ever seen.

Here's an quick ornament I did this afternoon just to see what the burl would look like. I tried something different with the finial and don't really like it, but the burl for the globe is gorgeous.

I can't wait to turn the rest of the ornaments. If I do my part they should come out great. I also ordered from Cory a bigger piece of burl to do a hollow from out of. Size is 7 1/2" x 3". Picture is taken from his website. I can't wait to see what will come out of this piece.

Cory also threw in some pen blanks just for good measure. Overall I have to say I'm very happy with what I got.

John Keeton
10-15-2011, 8:00 AM
That black ash burl has a very unique look! From what I saw at AAW, Cory has some nice burl, though I have not turned any of it yet. Nice work on the ornament, and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the HF - beautiful round of burl!

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2011, 8:04 AM
Cool looking ornament!

I have one piece of Cory's Black Ash burl that I rough turned a small vase out of. It should be plenty dry enough to finish turn one of these days!! Sure is some beautiful wood!

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Great looking ornament. I am going to have to check out this burl.

Jim Burr
10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Sure hope he comes to San Jose next year!!! I've been super blessed to receive a few boxes of other turners "trash" Holy cow!!! You're gonna have a great time Paul!

Baxter Smith
10-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Great looking stuff!

Chris Burgess
10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
That Cory is a top notch guy. I just got a box of Pen blanks in for a Christmas order. Of all the pens I showed they wanted ALL of them in Black Ash Burl. Great Product and great guy to deal with.

David E Keller
10-15-2011, 8:59 PM
Nicely done on the ornament, Paul! I bought some 'scraps' from Cory a while back, and there wasn't a bad piece in the lot... I even managed a pepper mill from one of the chunks. Great guy and great wood!