PDA

View Full Version : Proper Inscription for flag case

Brian Tymchak
10-14-2011, 2:28 PM
Afternoon all,

I'm going to build a flag case this winter for my father's burial flag. I'm going to inlay a brass plate with an inscription of his name, final rank (Navy - S1), dates of birth and death. I know pretty much nothing about the proper way to reflect his military rank on the plate. So I've been googling around trying to find examples but not really coming up with much. Maybe someone here on the Creek can set me straight? My current thought is to show it as "US Navy - S1". Or is it more properly written some other way?

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Dan Rude
10-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Here is just a sample of some:http://www.creeksideframing.com/sampleMilitary.shtml, I actually have to do the same for my fathers flag. Then of course a regular shadow box for my 30 years I spent with the Air Force on both active and reserve duty. Hope this helps.
Dan

David Hawxhurst
10-15-2011, 9:51 AM
the current standard for using rank is rank, first, middle intital (or spelled out), last.
ie:
S1 Joe W. Smith
born - died

the date format does not always include the day, but in this case i would probably include the day. date format is dd mmm yy or dd mmm yyyy.
date format ie :
15 Oct 11 or 15 OCT 11
15 Oct 2011 or 15 OCT 2011

Jeff Caulk
10-15-2011, 8:05 PM
To add to David's post (I am a Naval Officer)
In general the service is added to the end of the rank and name.
e.g.
S1 Joe W. Smith USN

David is correct with regard to the date format. I would use a 4 digit year.
The all caps month is generally used in log keeping and some admin paperwork.
I think the sentence case, "Oct", would be more appropriate here.

If you have room, you may consider including the traditional farewell, "Fair Winds and Following Seas", at the bottom.
i.e.

S1 Joe W. Smith USN
born - died
Fair Winds and Following Seas

William Adams
10-16-2011, 8:12 AM
I was a member of the Honor Guard for my base when I was in the Air Force and would like to put forth an argument for writing out the full name of the rank.

Civilians are mystified by the letters and numbers, so if there's room, write out the full thing.

Brian Tymchak
10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you all for your responses and helping me with this. I want to make sure the inscription is proper. My father didn't talk much of his Navy service. He served just after the WWII ended. In fact, it was a surprise to me when my step-mother mentioned that the local VFW would perform the graveside service and present me with the flag. I'll never forget those few minutes. It was quite an emotional event for me.

I would also like to thank you all for your service to our nation. It's difficult for me to put in words how much respect and admiration I have for you and others in our military that keep our borders secure and preserve the freedoms we enjoy.

Thanks again,
Brian