PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 735 height adjustment

Rick Potter
10-14-2011, 1:28 PM
I just cut some 1/8" kerf spline slots in mitered corners. I used to use hardboard for splines, but just discovered that mine is slightly more than 1/8". So.......I went to the planer to mill some splines. Put it on the 1/8" setting and they were a bit big, so I adjusted the adjustment bolt underneath the knob, several times, at 1/4 turn each time, and it still is too big. Went to 1/4" thick, and cut some, which is now about 3/16, so obviously the planer will not go down to the full 1/8" size, and moving the stop was doing nothing.

Any ideas? I will reset the bolt so it reads right for 1/4", but I would sure like to be able to use the 1/8" setting on the dial and have it right.

Rick Potter

PS: Yes, it is a 1/8" kerf. Frued flat top rip. Even checked the kerf with my brass bar guages.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-14-2011, 1:39 PM
Hmm. I have never planed anything that thin on my 735. Short of finding out 'why' you can't get that low, you could always run it through on top of another board.

Charles Wiggins
10-14-2011, 3:31 PM
http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fwn-experts/bob-van-dyke-no-questions/planing-thin-stock

Rick Potter
10-14-2011, 3:49 PM
Thanks guys,

While I am aware I could make a sled to do it, the planer has a 1/8" setting on it, and I was wondering if there is some adjustment somewhere I am missing.

Rick P

EDIT: Well, I made a quickie sled and did the shims I need, but it still annoys me that I have a 1/8" setting that I can't use.

Myk Rian
10-14-2011, 8:18 PM
I never go to 1/8" on mine. Too much chance of it getting sucked up into the head.