PDA

View Full Version : Price estimate for 36" lathe ?

Mike vonBuelow
10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Assuming it works, can anyone speculate what this is worth?

The owner is asking $200 - and I'm new to turning, so I have no idea if this is a good starting price, or a scam...

What questions should I be asking?

He mentions it comes with a 'copier' - if that matters any

Noah Barfield
10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I would steer you away this lathe. It's a tube lathe from the 70s or 80s made by Sears. Having owned one for a bit, I can tell you that you'll be fighting vibration from day one. There are a ton of them on craigslist in our area and they range in price depending on what the owner believes that they are "worth." There's also a reason why these older Sears lathes are so abundant on craigslist. Yes, you can turn stuff on them, but it won't take long until you're looking around for a more substantial machine. The copier and tools that are in the photo don't significantly add to the value. I'd advise looking for a used Delta or even a Jet mini if your budget is limited.

Noah

Jack Mincey
10-14-2011, 2:39 PM
I have given two of these old lathes away over the last 5 years. I teach at a local high school shop and people bring them in to me to use. I don't think they are worth $20.00 much less $200.00. The tools are worth more than the lathe. I would give as much as $40.00 for the set of tools, but would not want to load the lathe into my truck for free.
Jack

Roger Chandler
10-14-2011, 2:58 PM
Waaaaaaaay too much! Steer clear.........I have a neighbor who has one, and it is in good shape.........he bought it at an auction about 10 years ago for $60..............he bought a Jet 1236 last week at auction almost new for $220. Get you a good lathe ............maybe the Delta 46-460 for $599. and you will never regret it!

Mike vonBuelow
10-14-2011, 3:36 PM
Thanks all - looks like I have a unanimous consensus on this model.

Appreciate it!

Steve Vaughan
10-14-2011, 5:57 PM
I know, you've reached a concensus, but I simply have to chime in here. Every single word has been spoken true. You get this thing even for free and you simply will not turn anymore if that's all you go on. NOOOOOOOOOO! Don't go there! Pa-Leeeeese don't.

Doug W Swanson
10-14-2011, 8:44 PM
I may be in the minority here but I started out with the Ridgid version of this lathe. While it wasn't the best lathe out there, it was cheap enough ($130) that it allowed me to find out that I really liked turning. I used the Ridgid for over a year before I bought a Jet.

If it was $100-125 then it might not be a bad deal to see if you like turning. Then you could resell this one and upgrade to a nicer one. I ended up selling my Ridgid for $175 so I made money on it!

I think it all comes down to budget. If you can afford it, I'd start with a little nicer lathe but I don't think I'd spend more than $100 on this one....

Donny Lawson
10-14-2011, 9:43 PM
The truth has been spoken here. I've owned a pole type lathe (Ridgid) a long time ago and could never get anything to line up. I pushed it in a corner and it collected dust for about a year. (This was when I knew nothing about turning and after working with this lathe I did not think I wanted to either). Finally I decided to ask around and went to a friends house for a turning lesson. After that I wanted another lathe. I decided to bite the bullet and buy my Delta 46-460. "Great investment". It's like Daylight and Dark. Never looked back.. So the bottom line is buy the best you can afford but stay away from the pole type lathe. Just my 2 cents worth.