PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Makita 2030 Planer Jointer Owners

Brad Patch
10-14-2011, 10:55 AM
My Makita 2030 has been in almost daily use since its purchase in 1979. It has been well maintained, the usual wear items replaced and routinely lubricated. Recently the planer feed function started to develop an unusual vibration. The feed rollers were not binding, but subsequent disassembly revealed that one feed roller and the plain bearing blocks had been running dry and caused one of the bearings to wear excessively. Luckily the roller shaft was not worn. The plain bearing was replaced and lubricated with synthetic automotive grease.

Its likely that similar Makita Planers have similar feed parts that would benefit from periodic lubrication.

One of the frustrating parts of removing the feed rollers are the cap screws holding the bearing blocks in place. They are hard to see and somewhat difficult to reach. I have recently learned that these screws do not have Phillips recess' but are made in accordance with Japanese Industrial Standards(JIS). Knocking a NEW #2 Phillips bit into the JIS recess will allow removal without the bit camming out. I have since replaced these cap screws with Metric Allen head screws which will make subsequent removal much easier. Be aware the the plain bearing shaft holes are not drilled in the exact center of the bearing block. Measure and reassemble with both bearings being in the same orientation to avoid any potential for binding.

Next time I remove the feed rollers I intend to remove and lubricate the speed reduction gearbox.

Don Buck
10-14-2011, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the posting. I've owned a Makita 2030 since 1981 and planed and jointed a forest since bringing it home. I've replaced the bearing blocks once and had to replace the motor's field a few year past. It's been one of the best tools for limited space shops. My larger shop now has a 20" planer so the Makita is getting some rest although it is still the only jointer in my shop at the moment. FYI - if you ever have to replace parts on the motor, be advised that Makita used 3 slightly different models of motors on this model and the armature etc. are different. It took 3 shipments from the service center until I got the right field for my Makita.

Pete Markantes
10-04-2012, 1:18 PM
Brad, I recently purchased a well-used 2030 and, in the process of removing the rollers for recovering, discovered a badly worn plane bearing. Using a digital caliper, I measured the walls of each of the 4 bearings and found that the top of each bearing (in contact with spring} measured .157". The bottoms ranged from .133" to zero (see picture) leading me to believe that the downward pressure of the spring will eventually lead to excessive wear on an unlubricated bearing. Fortunately the cost of replacement is minimal ($6 online). Google Makita 214152-3 to find sources.

A friend who maintains and repairs large printing equipment recommends EP grease for parts that are difficult to get at. I've ordered 4 replacement blocks and my rollers have been sent to Western Roller for recovering. I plan is to use EP when re-assembling.

Pete

Rick Fisher
10-05-2012, 3:11 AM
I used to sell those machines, working at a building supply store.. I think it was about 1986 ish ..

Really impressed with how well they held up .. We sold the Hitachi combo and the Makita combo, plus the Makita 16" planer.. At the time, they where all I knew .. Its neat to hear people still love them ..

Brad Patch
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Brad, I recently purchased a well-used 2030 and, in the process of removing the rollers for recovering, discovered a badly worn plane bearing. Using a digital caliper, I measured the walls of each of the 4 bearings and found that the top of each bearing (in contact with spring} measured .157". The bottoms ranged from .133" to zero (see picture) leading me to believe that the downward pressure of the spring will eventually lead to excessive wear on an unlubricated bearing. Fortunately the cost of replacement is minimal ($6 online). Google Makita 214152-3 to find sources.

A friend who maintains and repairs large printing equipment recommends EP grease for parts that are difficult to get at. I've ordered 4 replacement blocks and my rollers have been sent to Western Roller for recovering. I plan is to use EP when re-assembling.

Pete

Talk about wear, holy smokes, I can't belive what kind of systoms that machine had with that bearing block. A little research revealed that EP stands for Extrime Pressure, I'll use that the next time I lube the rollers. The weak link on these machines was always the roller covering,
mine were recovered 15 years ago with no further proplems.