{
printf("goodbye, world");
}

RIP Dennis.

Phil Thien
10-14-2011, 8:52 AM
A great loss of a true innovator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

His contributions to computing cannot be overstated.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-14-2011, 8:53 AM
main()
{
printf("goodbye, world");
}

RIP Dennis.

Such a nerdy/geeky post. Dennis would have approved. :)

Brian Tymchak
10-14-2011, 1:12 PM
2 great ones lost in short order...

Had the pleasure of meeting Dennis in the mid 80s when he gave a presentation at our (ex) Bell Labs site here in Columbus. Was quite the rock star already then. Struck me as being very practical while still living on a plane of existence I had no business even knowing about... Nice article (http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/innovation/dennis-ritchie-obit-bell-labs/)on his career on CNN site.

Ryan Mooney
10-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Such a nerdy/geeky post. Dennis would have approved. :)

Indeed. So much of what we use today wouldn't exist without his work. He is imho one of the more under appreciated innovators of the 20th century.

Eric DeSilva
10-16-2011, 1:40 PM
I still have my copy of "The C Programming Language", which was handed to me when I started my first job as a programmer in 1980. Not only did that book teach me C, it taught me the virtues of writing clean code. It took me years to understand how elegant C was as a creation.

Bill Cunningham
10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I still have my copy of "The C Programming Language", which was handed to me when I started my first job as a programmer in 1980. Not only did that book teach me C, it taught me the virtues of writing clean code. It took me years to understand how elegant C was as a creation.

I used to LOVE programming in 'C'. In the early 80's it had not caught on at the college were I taught.. My teaching position had nothing to do with computer programming, but once students got the word that I used it, I was always giving impromtu lessons to computer students in the hallways and lunch rooms.. Ha.. it was great fun.. I haven't written a line of code in 20 years now. Self employment makes you scared to take on a programming project of any kind. It's addicting, and I would literally bury myself in the project, oblivious to all around me.. I can't count the number of times my wife tapped me on the shoulder at 3 in the morning and asked when I was coming to bed.. My answer was usually something like "What? It's dark out?"