PDA

View Full Version : Help an idiot, please!!

Allen Grimes
02-28-2005, 2:22 PM
First of all, I want to thank everybody who helped me with my last problem. I forgot to say thanks in that thread so I'm saying it now.

Unfortunately, even though I want to be a professional woodworker I haven't had the time to either work in the shop or even read about woodworking. The little time I do have I spend trying to set up my table saw, but I made a big mistake while doing so.

I, being the genius that I am, removed the table top without measuring the the distance between the insides of the miter gauges to the blade. So could sombody who owns a GI 50-260 PLEASE measure that for me so I can get my table saw aligned correctly and finally use the darn thing.

Jim Becker
02-28-2005, 4:16 PM
I can't help you with the measurement, Allen, but I hope that you retained any shims (they look like washers, but are not washers, but of precision thickness) that may have been at one or more corners on the four bolts that hold the table to the saw. These insure that your blade tracks straight when tilted to 45º and is a normal factory adjustment for a cabinet saw before they send the machine out the door. The effect is mimimal but reduces any marking by the back of the blade on these cuts.

Steve Jenkins
02-28-2005, 4:43 PM
I wouldn't think that the exact measurements matter as long as the slot is parallel to the blade. If it had shims and you don't know where they came from it will take a bit of trial and error to place them correctly. Time consuming but not impossible.

Richard Wolf
02-28-2005, 5:00 PM
Don't you have a throat plate with a saw kerf in it. You could use that to get a measurement that is probaly close enough.

Richard

Allen Grimes
02-28-2005, 6:20 PM
hey guys thanks for all of your replies. Thankfully there where no shims to worry about. I really dont need anymore problems getting this thing tuned properly. What makes it worse is I didn't need to take the top off in the first place.:o Its a learning experience though, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste.