PDA

View Full Version : Alistair

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2011, 7:11 PM
Honduras rosewood burl and ebony. 3.25" at the rim X 17.5" tall.

The weighted base really worked out well. Just enough "ballast" to keep it from seeming too "tippy".
Should have made the stem longer...

mike ash
10-13-2011, 7:41 PM
David - You cease to amaze my with your turnings. This one is nothing short of museum quality!!!

Mike Ash

Roger Chandler
10-13-2011, 7:48 PM
That is a gorgeous turning David! I think proportionally, the trumpet flare over the amphora part of the form overpowers the form itself, just a bit.......at least that was my initial impression.........beautiful wood, and your stem is superb as usual......love the base as well........outstanding again!

Alan Trout
10-13-2011, 7:54 PM
David, as always very nice.

Alan

John Keeton
10-13-2011, 8:18 PM
David, the wood combinations are perfect! Are the rim and the bead on the base dyed? Hollowing this shape has to be a substantial challenge, and getting a clean cut on the rim as thin as it is requires superb tool control. You obviously have mastered all of that. Execution on these pieces is just excellent!

There are endless variations that are possible with this series, and each individual is going to see them differently. For me, I prefer a little less flare in proportion to the "bulb", and were it just a hair larger in diameter, the burl inset might follow the lines of the stem a little better. But, again, those are all very individual preferences of a very minor consideration. Your work is of such fine quality that it certainly surpasses anything I could accomplish, and I dare say, most turners.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2011, 8:36 PM
"Are the rim and the bead on the base dyed?"

They are dyed black. What I really wanted was to gold leaf them. But, since I have never done that and since I have no gold leaf, I decided to settle (for the time being) for black dye.

As to the proportions, this was a bit of an experiment. I have wondered how these would work with a very tall, narrow bell. I tend to agree that this is "pushing the envelope" a bit. Things can look good in a 2D drawing but they look so different when they are actually made. So the only way to really find out is to try it. I am not unhappy with how this turned out even thought I would not say it's my "favorite".

PS I also put a very gentle flair at the bottom of the "bell" where it joins the "bulb". Still thinking about that one too!

cal thelen
10-13-2011, 8:37 PM
WOW ! That is just beautiful! The wood, the base, the stem, the whole package just beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2011, 9:05 PM
Just a all around beautiful piece David. Love the wood.

Ron Bontz
10-13-2011, 9:07 PM
Beautiful piece. You are always on a roll. Is this a three piece?

Josh Bowman
10-13-2011, 9:23 PM
David, that is amazing.

Baxter Smith
10-13-2011, 10:26 PM
That is getting up there! When compared to your others IMO it seems a little more top heavy. I can see why you needed the lead!! Very impressive work seems like an understatement!

Scott Hackler
10-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Great craftsmanship, like usual, and the wood is fantastic. The flair seems a little over powering to the form below it and I think it might be just a "get used to it" deal. I think if someone pierced the heck out of the flair it would really lighten up the perceived balance. Just an idea, but i am fixated on piercing "flairs" so what do I know! :)

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
"...i am fixated on piercing ..."

Well I guess there's lots worse things you could be fixated on! I have considered incorporating some piercing but I am waiting for an inspiration.

Kathy Marshall
10-14-2011, 2:52 AM
Another Beautiful piece David! And that wood is just spectacular!

David DeCristoforo
10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
"You cease to amaze..."

I'm amazed that I ever amazed to begin with!

"Is this a three piece?"

Is this a three piece... what?

"...that wood is just spectacular..."

It's hard to beat rosewood! The only thing that can do it is rosewood burl...

Rich Greinert
10-14-2011, 12:24 PM
David, I admire all the pieces of your work that I have seen posted here. Truly spectacular! I am curious... you mentioned earlier in this thread that a design can look different when translated from a 2D drawing into an actual object in 3D do you draw these by hand or do you use a computer program and if so which program?
Thanks for posting these inspiring pieces.
Rich

Norm Zax
10-14-2011, 1:51 PM
Magnificent and surprising - the ratios look off and yet overall it gives the impression of ancient art work. For me this is a diificult part to predict. Even a drawing before hand cant quite predict if the pieces will "come togther". Still, I would sacrifice some of that fine stem in favor of more sturdiness. Did you make 5 separate pieces and glue them together?

Wally Dickerman
10-14-2011, 2:13 PM
David, you haven't asked for a critique but I'm going pass on my thoughts anyway. IMO the bell is too tall which affects the proportions and balance of the piece.

Otherwise, I think that this piece along with the others is wonderful. The wood is fantastic which adds to the beauty of the vessel.

Question...Because of the bell, I'm sure that hollowing is difficult and thin walls are a must for this piece. How thin were you able to turn them? What hollowing system are you using?

Tim Rinehart
10-14-2011, 3:41 PM
Very very nice. I like this, but beautiful wood always steals the show in my opinion. You've gone outside your norm on proportions, but I really like the piece. The banding of black at the base is very smart looking too!
Wonderful work on these amphoras David...really wonderful.

Jon McElwain
10-14-2011, 4:15 PM
Question...Because of the bell, I'm sure that hollowing is difficult and thin walls are a must for this piece. How thin were you able to turn them? What hollowing system are you using?

Fabulous work! I am still fascinated by the long stem you are able to produce. I remember seeing a long PCV tube you used for a vacuum chuck. Are you still using this method to finish the ends of the stem? Also, I had the same question as Waly - wall thickness? Are you hollowing all the way into the round portion at the bottom of the bell?

David DeCristoforo
10-14-2011, 5:43 PM
"...do you use a computer program..."

I've been using Adobe Illustrator. It's actually easier to draw on paper but re-drawing or altering the proportions once the drawing is done (AKA "editing") is much easier if the drawing is digital!

"Did you make 5 separate pieces and glue them together?"

The stem is actually four pieces. Well, in this case five because the base is made up of two separate pieces that house a lead wire weight
as shown i this recent thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173932-A-quot-weighty-quot-problem

So there is the rosewood base which is two pieces. Then the ebony stem, a rosewood "embellishment" and the "transition piece" at the top. They are all pinned together with a 1/8" brass rod that is imbedded in the top of the stem itself. At the smallest part of the transition piece, there is about a 64th of an inch of wood covering the brass rod.

"...you haven't asked for a critique..."

Critiques are always welcome. You are totally correct in your comments about about the size of the "bell".

"...a long PCV tube you used for a vacuum chuck. Are you still using this method..."

I am using it with an improvement over the first version which is the addition of the Jeff Nichol four wheeled steady to keep the end of the long tube centered. I am doing most of the work on the bottom of the base before attaching the stem but the end of the stem is finished off using the vac chuck.

"...wall thickness? Are you hollowing all the way into the round portion..."

The entire bulb in hollowed to a bit under 1/8" thickness. Even so the rosewood burl is so dense that the piece has some heft. the ones I have done in maple burl are much lighter.