PDA

View Full Version : Historical site Walnut bowl is finished

Donny Lawson
10-13-2011, 6:52 PM
I've been working on finishing up this bowl for a few days now. It's 10x4 with 8 coats of WOP. If you remember I recieved this walnut a while back and I promised them a bowl to put in their museum case. I have included some pics from where I brought the wood home, to a roughed out stage, and to a finished bowl. I debated on the finish but I like the high gloss of poly so its finally done and after I show it off at the next woodturners meeting it will go to the museum to be looked at for decades to come. C&C Welcome.
Thanks Donny

Gary Max
10-13-2011, 7:07 PM
Useing to sapwood to bring out the color worked well, Nice job Donny. I am sure they will be happy.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2011, 7:16 PM
Looks great Donny! Love that walnut! Beautiful gloss too. You might want to include a warning about wearing shades!

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2011, 9:21 PM
Looking good Donny. They are going to love it especially the sap wood/ heart wood contrast.

Baxter Smith
10-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Looks good Donny. I am sure they will appreciate it! So what is the history and the museum. I always go for the stories!

Kathy Marshall
10-14-2011, 3:02 AM
Looking good Donny!

Donny Lawson
10-14-2011, 6:50 AM
Looks good Donny. I am sure they will appreciate it! So what is the history and the museum. I always go for the stories!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/crownarchives.jpgBuilt in 1885, Crown Cotton Mill reflects the initial prosperity of the Dalton area. This mill was at the center of the creation of the chenille cloth industry that prospered in the area because of inexpensive power and labor and was the first major industrial employer in the region, although there were earlier fabric mills in the area. It predated the city's current major employer, the carpet industry. Exhibits in the mill highlight the Cherokees, early settlers, the Civil War. The Gardens also have a bedspread museum and research material.

It's a neat little museum that has alot of history. There is alot of old stuff inside and alot of stories that is told by the people that work there. Since I work all over the city I think its neat. There are alot of documents displayed inside of what went on back then. I like to look at stuff like that.

Ed Morgano
10-14-2011, 3:33 PM
Donny,
Very nice job. I'm sure they will like it. I've been turning some of the walnut that you gave me. So far, I've made to NE bowls but I haven't even scratched the surface. Thanks again!

Donny Lawson
10-14-2011, 5:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ed Morgano;1790164]Donny,
Very nice job. I'm sure they will like it. I've been turning some of the walnut that you gave me. So far, I've made to NE bowls but I haven't even scratched the surface. Thanks again!

Ed, your very welcome. I've been bringing home more lately. Today I brought home some Cherry and Maple. I've got some kind of wood at work to pick up next week but I will need my trailer for it. Some of it is 30-35" through. I will need a bigger saw.More pics next week.