PDA

View Full Version : Couple of NOVA Questions

Andrew Kertesz
10-13-2011, 5:24 PM
I am having a few issues with my NOVA 1624-44 and have a couple of questions. What kind of tension does everybody put on the belt? On the motor pulley if you look do you have two set screws or one? While there are two holes I only have one and it looks like the pulley has shifted. Unless I put tension on the belt, contrary to what the manual says it grinds against the red housing. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy Kertesz

kenneth walker
10-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Mine did the same thing just move the pulley back. beware the sets screws are metric.

Andrew Kertesz
10-14-2011, 5:35 AM
Thanks Ken. The problem is that when the screw came out it chewed up the high speed end of the motor pulley so it is not unusable. How did you move the pulley? When I loosen the one set screw that is left it seems to be solid and not wanting to move.

kenneth walker
10-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Andrew check the side motor mount nuts also and make sure they are tight if they are to lose the motor kicks the pulley up out of line. my pulley only has one hole and one set screw.

Andrew Kertesz
10-18-2011, 6:10 AM
Spoke to Bob in customer service in Florida. They wanted proof of purchase which I had, they are supposed to send me a new motor pulley. Mine has two holes and only one screw. It seems like the motor housing is not stamped/cut properly as it rubs on the pulley even after moving it over. My current pulley is functional except on the 3000 RPM end. I may have to file the housing but want to wait to get the new pulley first.

Rusty Smith
10-18-2011, 4:17 PM
Didn't see where anyone answered your question about tension, though it appears that the tension was/is not the problem. When I change speeds I just let the weight of the motor tension the belt. I sometimes will put very slight pressure on the "T" handle and then release before I tighten the "T" handle down. I messed up recently and did not get the belt in the groves correctly and pealed one of the ribs off the outside edge of the belt. I was operating with a 5 rib belt instead of the 6 for a while. I've got to get a new one ordered but the lathe is in storage for the time being since we sold our house and are, well, homeless sorta.