PDA

View Full Version : how to get motivated?

curtis rosche
10-13-2011, 4:59 PM
the past few weeks i just cant seem to get motivated in my school work and some other things. how do you get motivated when you dont feel like doing something?

David Weaver
10-13-2011, 5:10 PM
Step forward in time and think about the results that you want to see when you get to that point in time.

Set up a schedule to get to those points and break down the amount you need to accomplish into daily (or whatever period is convenient) goals.

I know you've had a lot of tough things to deal with lately, but as you get older, life will be filled with distractions and things that steal your motivation. Maybe not as significant as recently, but enough so that they'll affect you, and you'll need to figure out how to get yourself to do what you really want to do.

If you can divvy up what you have to accomplish into trackable progress, you can get yourself focused on measurable things and then keep yourself distracted sticking to your goals, and working toward them while you're in the dumps for a while.

Otherwise, you'll come out of it, and the damage will be done, and it'll be too late to do anything about it.

John Pratt
10-13-2011, 5:18 PM
Given the most recent events in you life, I would suggest finding a new purpose or new goals and then set out to achieve them.

Stephen Tashiro
10-13-2011, 5:29 PM
I think motivation is a persistent problem in life - not one of those things that getting older and wiser helps much.

As a generality, you should take pains to observe the things that do motivate you and admit they do, even if they are delusional and silly. For example, I'm sure that many a woodworking project has been motivated by an off hand remark by a relative or friend that "I sure could use a ....". Then the self-motivated woodworker gets it into his mind that he "must" get the project done because the person "needs" the object. The reality may be that the person doesn't need it and may not even use it if it's given to them. However, it's perfectly OK to delude yourself about the importance of your projects to other people if you are happy that it motivates you.

Likewise you should be aware of things that de-motivate you even if they are silly. For example, if you show up eager to do something and someone says "Your hair looks funny today", that may demotivate you for the rest of the day. I doubt we can conquer our irrational reactions to things by telling ourselves that they are irrational. Instead, I think we must learn to utilize the irrational reactions that have an effect we want and try to minimize those whose effects we don't want.

For complicated tasks like studying, it helps to argue with yourself about "taking the next simple step". For example, if you don't want to study, then say "Can't I at least get the books out and find my notes. Is that so hard?". Do that and then do something else for awhile. Then try to argue with yourself about reading the first paragraph in the chapter or doing the first problem.

I have a theory that concentrated effort can lead to "burn-out" because of Pavlovian conditioning. I've discussed this on other internet forums and found absolutely no support for my ideas. In spite of that, here goes:

People who pursue some task enthusiatically, making sacrifices, working long hours, staying up late, etc. are, in effect, punishing themselves physically. Your conscious mind cay say you enjoy such a routine and that it's worth it, but I think there is also Pavlovian conditioning going on. Your body is learning to associate discomfort with the activity. So it doesn't surprise me that people who have pursued some course of study, hobby, or vocation can become suddenly repulsed by it.

Kent A Bathurst
10-13-2011, 5:39 PM
I'm not a religious guy, in the classic sense of the word. I am, however, completely certain that the people that influenced me the most during my life are internalized as part of me and who I am. In that sense, even though they aren't here with me, they ARE here with me.

I know them well. I know I have their support. I do - literally - have conversations with them on occasion [not on a crowded street ;)]. It's usually fairly easy for me to think it through and figure out what their counsel and advice is for any given situation, so I explain things to them, and then just let them have their say.

I can't tell you I always do what they advise - I wish I could, but I'm not there yet, and never will be. But I try. They don't mind if I can't quite pull it off - they know me well, also, and they are happy for the attempt and some measure of success.

Larry Edgerton
10-13-2011, 7:07 PM
I constantly take on projects that are just too big for one guy, and so am faced with motivational issues at times. I have made it a habit to break what I need to do down into smaller, easier tasks to accomplish. I write out a list of each of these small things and check them off as I go along. This gives me a sense of accomplishment that in turn makes me feel like I am indeed moving forward.

Tricking my own mind is what I am doing, but by focusing on the smaller tasks I am not overwhelmed by the magnitude of work I need to get done, and so keep moving forward.

Always forward........

Larry

Phil Thien
10-13-2011, 8:32 PM
(1) Write everything you need to get done on an index card. I use unruled cards. I keep one in my pocket at all times.

(2) Pick anything from the card, and do it. When you're done, cross it off. If you like, start with something easy. As you cross off the easy stuff, the more difficult stuff will be next, but you will feel satisfaction from the work accomplished and continue on.

Remember, the hardest part of any project is just getting started.

Edit: As I read the other posts, I think Larry Edgerton and I have similar work habits. :)

Ben Hatcher
10-14-2011, 1:02 PM
When I didn’t feel like studying, I would tell myself that I just need to do it for 5 minutes and then I can stop if I still don’t feel like it. Most of the time, just getting started was enough. One tip that helps this work better is if to minimize potential distractions, especially those things that might make you get up from your work, before you start.

Jim Koepke
10-15-2011, 3:20 PM
Tell your wife it will be done by a certain time.

She will provide all the motivation you will need if it is something she wants done.

jtk