PDA

View Full Version : I need a quick satin finish for bowls.

Jack Gaskins
10-13-2011, 4:04 PM
I have a lot of rough turned bowls I am going to finish over the coarse of the next few weeks in preparation for christmas. The bowls wont be used for food persay, maybe some wrapped candies or chocolate, office desk clips mail, what-nots, stuff like that so they proabably wont see hard usage. I dont plan on buffing these bowls just a satin sheen to them. I have read that the Deft Laquer works well and is fast drying but will it last? Should I put an oil on the wood first for grain contrast even though the oil will never really dry?

David Gilbert
10-13-2011, 4:08 PM
I really like Minwax Antique Oil for a durable satin finish. I know that others buff it but I don't. Since I don't use lacquer, I can't compare it with that.

Cheers,
David

Jim Matthews
10-13-2011, 4:28 PM
Waterlox or Watco wipe on poly, for me.

Waterlox has a slight amber tint.
The Watco wipe on is near colorless.

They dry to a satin sheen, are durable and cure quickly.
If you apply them with a Mirlon pad (my choice method), you'll get a burnished surface.

Prashun Patel
10-13-2011, 4:29 PM
I would get a couple cans of shellac and deft finish. The blonde shellac will pop the grain a little and will dry super fast. The deft will provide moderate protection and levels just perfectly and dries super fast. The deft finish will rub out well with 4x0 steel wool and wax if you're so inclined.

If you have a bunch to do, oil will add unnecessary drying time unless yr figure is really something special.

Instead of the Deft Finish, you can substitute Minwax spray lacquer.

Jamie Donaldson
10-13-2011, 4:43 PM
Assuming they will be sanded to at least a good #400, give a good soaking coat of Wiping Poly and let it soak in for about 10 min, then wipe off and dry overnight. Then wipe on a second coat, and wipe off any remainder after a few minutes and rub down with a dry cloth or paper towel. This should seal and provide a satin coat without all the spray mist in the shop such as a lacquer will cause, and much easier, faster, and cheaper to complete the job well.

Bob Bergstrom
10-13-2011, 5:04 PM
Shellac and lacquer are super fast and will hold up to wrap candy. Paper clips will scratch about any finish you use. Forby's tug oil will dry in a couple hours. A good coat of wax will help all for a while. Just about all will dry overnight. Spraying multiple coats of lacquer from a can ( especially Mohawk brands) will bill a layer pretty quick.

Jack Gaskins
10-13-2011, 5:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have everything but Waterlox and wipe on shellac. I guess I can try one with Shellac and Lacquer and one in wipe on poly and another in Antique oil and see which ones dry the fastest versa satin finish then use that on all the rest of the bowls. Just didnt want to spend a week trying to dry multiple coats for just one bowl. Thanks.

Jack

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2011, 9:19 PM
I use antique oil on most of my bowls. I use it on all bowls including utility bowls. Ernie Conover told me that is all he uses on any bowls decorative or utility. I let it dry for a week before using.

Jack Gaskins
10-13-2011, 9:35 PM
I use antique oil on most of my bowls. I use it on all bowls including utility bowls. Ernie Conover told me that is all he uses on any bowls decorative or utility. I let it dry for a week before using.

How long does it take to build up to a satin sheen?

Joe Adams
10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
FWIW - The easiest finish I have found is EEE-Ultrashine followed by Shellawax.

Jack Gaskins
10-14-2011, 5:20 AM
I thought about buying some EEE and Shellawax but man that stuff is $$$.

Jack Gaskins
10-14-2011, 4:39 PM
Waterlox or Watco wipe on poly, for me.

Waterlox has a slight amber tint.
The Watco wipe on is near colorless.

They dry to a satin sheen, are durable and cure quickly.
If you apply them with a Mirlon pad (my choice method), you'll get a burnished surface.

Do you apply your waterlox with the lathe turning and with the Mirlon pad and do you speed the lathe up once it starts to dry to burnish it?

Robert Newton
10-14-2011, 4:52 PM
I use a finish of equal parts shellac, linseed oil and alcohol. Shake it up good and apply while bowl is turning, dries fast.

Jack Gaskins
10-14-2011, 9:07 PM
I use a finish of equal parts shellac, linseed oil and alcohol. Shake it up good and apply while bowl is turning, dries fast.

Does the finish hold up? I have read that shellac has zero durability to it? Ive never used shellac so i would know. And what kind of alcohol do you use to mix?
Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2011, 9:26 PM
How long does it take to build up to a satin sheen?

Jack I generally apply 3 coats and it holds up extremely well. If it is to shiney you can cut it back some with 0000 steel wool.

Joe Adams
10-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I thought about buying some EEE and Shellawax but man that stuff is $$$.

I bought it at Rockler when they had a "50% off the second item" sale. The jars may seem small but it only takes a tiny dab on a rag so you can finish way more projects than you'd think.

The main thing for me is it's super fast and very easy. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

Jim Sebring
10-15-2011, 12:39 AM
I've found "Masters Magic" to be the best rattle-can lacquer out there. It has more solids that Deft and is hard to make run. Build is very fast. It's available in both satin and gloss varieties from Craft Supplies.